Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(insert joke about the crappy HD parking brakes here)

But seriously. If I have my truck sitting LEVEL, and I set the parking brake, put it in neutral, If I push realllyyyy hard on the back bumper, I can move the truck.:rolleyes: Also, if I idle the truck in drive with the parking brake on, it will cruise right along like its not even engaged. I put it in neutral at like 45 mph and hit the braking brake HARD. I kinda sorta maybe started to slow down...beleive me it wasnt impressive tho. And forget actually using the parking brake on a hill. I feel bad for ZF-6 guys if their parking brakes are this bad!:eek:

Is it even worth taking to teh dealer? Or is it "normal" just like every other problem?

--Ben

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like it just needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
287 Posts
:lol: what made u think to try pushin your truck with the parkin break on??????? But seriously that dont sound good, id take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it a pain adjusting it? Should I jsut take it to the dealer udner warentee?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I had a big horse trailer hooked up and was parked on a hill, so I set the parking brake, and put it in park, and took my foot off the service brake. The truck rolled right forward for a couple inches until the parking pawl engaged, like the parking brake wasnt even trying to hold it. It kinda worried me...having taking apart my tranny, that parking pawl is huge and looks like It could hold back a tank, but still I like to set the parking brake just in case...nice to know it will hold the truck in one place!! :rant:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i'd just take it in. let them do the work, unless they are going to charge you or if it'll take more than a few minutes.

you said you took a bunch of pictures during the rebuild... did you happen to take a shot of the parking pawl? like to see how beefy it is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think the parking brake has ever been good on the Chevy trucks. I know my last wasn't, but yours sounds like it is a bit too loose. I don't think have have put any adjustment in them, correct?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allison parking pawl...

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
yes it can be adjusted.has a set of brake shoes inside the rotor like a brake drum

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I hope that little spring isn't the only thing pulling the pawl back once you take it out of park.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The parking pawl in the Allison is rated at some 20,000 pounds,hardly anything to be concerned with.

The E-brakes do suck until you find a mechanic that can properly adjust it.I was told mine was fine even when it would creep forward mashed to the carpet at idle.

Finally they agreed and fixed it once and for all.Now I have a working e-brake.

One other thing is if all of a sudden it stopped working,more than likely you had a rear seal let loose and it is contaminating the drums.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahh I just thought of something. Are they going to look at my 18's and 285's and say THATS WHY IT DOESNT WORK, COME BACK WITH THE PYO'S ON AND THEN WE'LL FIX IT

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The adjustment is just two nuts attached to ends of the cables or it might be one, I can't remember I have re-adjusted many of them. The cable runs along the driver side frame rail and usually the nut is right were the frame turns up to go over the axle. Adjust it a few turns at a time untill it is to your liking, but don't go to far because it will start to drag. I have yet to adjust the e-brake on my truck, still holds the truck on a hill but might need to be adjusted soon.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Just a point of clarification - it is NOT an E-brake (emergency brake). How PARKING Brakes got this misnomer is beyond me. It is made to hold the vehicle in place when parked - which it should do. If it does not, it does need to be adjusted.

Be forwarned though, if you forget to release the parking brake before driving the vehicle, the Duramax has so much torque you may not notice until you've burned the brake pads like toast! :eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
IIRC, GM states that the parking pawl is good for 26,000 lb. Whether that's its maximum GCWR load or just some diesel enthusiast pushing on the back bumper, I'm not sure :)

Bert

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It definetly LOOKS that strong!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope that little spring isn't the only thing pulling the pawl back once you take it out of park.
Its actually a really stiff spring...its a lot more capable than its size might imply. TransGo includes an extra spring should you bend it or break it, but mine seemed fine...

·
Registered
626 Posts
ben-
my parking brake was giving me the same symptoms and I discovered my driver side rear axle seal was leaking. Changed out seals, put in new brake shoes and problem fixed. Only problem I have now is that when I go through vehicle inspection my pbrake barely holds back the truck with my SC IV trans. check your seals and pads. Good luck.

Josh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts