Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the weather if below freezing or down right nastily cold (between -15'C to -30'C (5'F to -22'F), should I let the engine run when re fueling or running into the store for 5-15 or 20+ minutes?

Since the weather here is below freezing for at least 6 months of the year, what would prolong my engine life more over the long term? Turning the engine off each time or letting it run?

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to metion that this is for my 03 Duramax with synthetic fluids throughout.

Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
fueling it i would let it run, in the store for 20 minutes i would kill it, if it has the grille covers on it should stay toasty. Or put in a remote start, go in the store, for 10-15 and then fire it back up so its warm by the time you leave. Or best yet find a plug at the store and plug it in while shopping, I'm sure they will love that!!!!!!1

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I let mine idle as you mention without concern, not many 20 min stops, but when fueling or just running into the store ......

Just watch out for Mr. Car thief normally take my extra key fob just for this in the colder weather .... What is better for longevity ?? It's a toss up I guess ..... The environmentalist may have something to say although .....

Mac

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know a guy who halls live stalk with a simi and he will let it idle at arroud 1000 for 2 hours or more while we lood up his truck with hogs. he says its just easer one every thing and dont even really take much more fuel. it shouldn't hirt the truck at all if you let it idle at 1000 -1200. we hall hay with diesel tractors and will let them idle for 20 minits at a time every time we lood and un lood all day long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts