Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, ive been working on getting a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for towing for a little bit know and have recently been offered a trade for a LB7 powered 01 2500HD with 190K Miles. Im asking forums for help as im a gas mechanic, never worked with a diesel. Up until know I was just waiting on a good deal on a 6.0 or 8.1 at auction or locally. The truck in question is clean exterior wise, has a 6 inch rough country lift and aftermarket wheels with spacers. Ive asked the owner what I thought were key questions about the engine but id like to get advice from someone with d max experience.

First thing I asked was when the last time injectors were replaced and he said he didn't know. Asked if truck had a tuner and the answer was also no. I plan on keeping whatever truck i buy stock as Im not planning on towing stupid heavy or every single day. Only other major thing thats been changed was the trans was built up by a shop. Truck is a 4X4

Any more diesel specific questions I should ask are appreciated.

BTW, not feeling the oversized wheels and spacers so those would be sold if I took the truck. Im assuming the lift is a cut the crossmember type so no going back to stock there.

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Injectors are a known issue with the LB7. You can upgrade those to the SAC style injector.

If the truck is not tuned or deleted/blocked I would say you found an unmolested truck. ( other than the lift).
I would say that if the truck is in good shape and not fighting any rust issues and taken care of, you found a truck you can work with
(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts