Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in California and I recently put a 4" exhaust on I bought from Con he said dont worry about the CATt becouse they dont smog diesel's so I ripped it off and put on the new exhaust man does it sound cool but now I am worried that if I ever take it into my dealer they will void the warranty. I was thinking off boring out the inside of the CAT and welding it back on so it looks like its there or I will just put it back on whole and run the exhaust CAT back what should I do?

Thanks

Shaydog

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I can see where the dealer can cause you issues with the cat being gone but I dont think it does a lot on these trucks. Have you had problems with your service dept yet? I suppose I would keep it handy incase you needed to have it on for major repairs but for most things, It dont make a difference if you have a cat if you have an oil leak or a dash rattle.

Eric

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric I have not had it in the service dept. yet but I was wondering if I should fix before I have to go in for something just because I did not want them to notice it and try to void my warranty. I don’t know how it works but if they did notice would they give me the chance to put it back on or would they just tell me I am screwed I paid $1900.00 for the extended warranty I don’t want to screw that up I guess it also depends on the dealer. Hey I heard what you did for that guy with the injector problem that’s pretty cool there not to many people that will go out of there way to help others like that thanks.

Thanks

Shaydog

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Bottom line is it is illegal to remove your emission related devices ..... I don't think the consumer would have issue with fines, sorta the mattress tag scenario ..... If I had a cat I would remove it for a free flowing system regardless,keeping it handy for issues with the dealer or resale ....

Everything is dependent on your dealer ..... Some dealers are by the book the, the letter of the law ..... Others just look the other way and are reasonable unless you or anyone becomes arrogant with them ....

Looks to me that with the big tires and lift you pretty much summed it up with your drivetrain and suspension warranty also ...

So add the missing Cat to the list of dealer loop hole finger pointing,Duramax warranty voiding powers .....

Good luck ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
994 Posts
Over the last 10 years or so, EPA regulations for diesel engines have focused primarily on two emissions components—oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter (PM). We in California seem to be a little ahead of the EPA reg. schedule. The first year the DMAX was produced (2001), all 50 states had the same engine. No CAT/EGR. To further reduce the level of NOx, in 2002 the CA DMAX diesel engines were equipped with cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems and a CAT. The EGR system along with retarded timing of the injection system lowered the combustion chamber temperature and resulting NOx level but produced more soot (or particulate matter). To meet the EPA/CARB regulations for particulate matter, a CAT was added to the exhaust system to control the soot level. The CAT on our trucks is solely for reducing the particulate matter (soot) to much finer size particles. The CAT is passive, no power or control go to it. The CAT is very simple. It only interacts with the exhaust flow. The above is MY understanding of the situation.

How any dealer can VOID your vehicle warranty because the CAT is missing is beyond me. Because it interacts only with the exhaust gases(and in a very simple way), it has no impact on the engine or the other parts of the vehicle. What Mackin says above in his first sentence is true, it is illegal to modify any emission system (Fed law). That is a different issue than the warranty.

Zoom ahead a few years to the 2007 timeframe. At this point, EPA mandated emission requirements for ALL on-road diesel vehicles increases substantially. At this point, the CAT's on a diesel truck will be more like those on cars. Made of more exotic metals and possibly multi-stage. There is a lot of research underway right now trying to determine how to meet the emission standards.

So Shaydog24, living in California, you know what is going to happen (right?). The state for sure will begin to inspect diesel equipped vehicles. I am rea

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Alan I will do just that who knows what they will do in Ca. half the stuff they do make no sense anyways.

Thanks

Shaydog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts