Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have a winter cover, but i feel i should have one. I bought my truck from a dealer here in ohio, but they didnt have the truck i wanted option wise, they found one in Indianapolis, IN. i went there with em, picked it up and been loving it ever since. Bieng that its -10 * around here now, i think i need that cover! I called the dealer and they said they have to " SEE" what chevy means by " COLD CLIMATES" :mad: Im waiting, Shouldnt every Duramax come with a winter cover ????? -Thanks :) , sorry bout long post ! -TIM

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think it is an option. Mine came with one but it was on the sticker as an "add". I didnt order the truck I found one like you in another state. I just got lucky with the winter cover I guess.

·
Registered
58 Posts
According to the GMC features guide for 2006, diesel engine equiped trucks have winter grill covers included as standard equipment if the "Ship To" location is: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, Idaho, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Michigan, Colorado and New York.

Any other ship to location there is a charge and they are not shipped with the truck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine was an option on a truck shipped and purchased in Kansas. I did not use mine last year but have installed the grill cover (not the lower cover) and have seen a difference in warm up times (in conjuction with using my block heater). We have been in the single digits and teens at night.

I would use it and if you don't have one, get one.

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
923 Posts
Mine came with the cover but it was listed on the invoice, $50. I would not want to be with out it right now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My truck came from a dealer in NY that boarders my town in NJ. If the truck had shipped strait to NJ I wouldn't have got the cover. Since my dealer who is in NJ got the truck from the NY dealer I got the covers.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yup, it's about a $50 option. I'm definatly glad I bought it. I don't think I'd have any heat right now if I didn't. Stupid subzero temperatures. :mad:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yep it is an option, mine didnt come with them but I picked a set up from a member that lives in the south. I would definitely try and find someone that has a set that came with there truck that they dont need as GM wants a stupic amount of money for the covers if you have to buy them from them.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
yup only an option. too many people were leaving them on when the temp became warm and started over heating the engine. gm got tired of fixin cooked engine so now its an option and your problem if you leave it on when the temp warms up and over heat your engine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes it is an option and none of these newer diesel trucks need them but I do like to use mine when it gets 15 or colder, helps warm the truck and cab quicker. NO.... you will not harm anything without one but they are nice when its 15-20 below like it has been the last week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get the winter cover for sure, I installed mine this weekend and we are in a cold spell here, very cold. The truck gets warm way faster and you will see a slight (1-2mpg) gain in gas. My mileage is getting better, with the same driving. Diesel motors love heat, hence the winter cover will do its job. I would recommend heating it up with a blow dryer before installation, I have a front license plate and it was a very tight fit. You could remove the license plate and install it afterwards, but you would need to drill holes in the cover, which I didn't like, so I cut out the piece like GM advised.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To add to my post, you have to remove the license plate before installing the bottom portion, but somehow my braket has the screws in the corner of the license plate, hence the hole provided by GM didn't work for me, and I am not going to punch holes on that expensive bra.:damnit1:

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKYOU All for the replies!:) i just needed to be armed with some info when i call my dealer! I'll try and see what i can work out. I cant beleive OHIO is not a cold climate state! i guess -5 to -10 Below is not cold!!:eek:

·
Registered
846 Posts
I put just the grille cover on mine and it does seem to help with warm up

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
TIM Z;1576025; said:
THANKYOU All for the replies!:) i just needed to be armed with some info when i call my dealer! I'll try and see what i can work out. I cant beleive OHIO is not a cold climate state! i guess -5 to -10 Below is not cold!!:eek:
Fourth diesel pickup in our family - no winter cover on any, ever.

·
Registered
781 Posts
SnowDrift;1576270; said:
Fourth diesel pickup in our family - no winter cover on any, ever.
It doesn't NEED it but it definatly helps. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
you should be able to go to a dealer and just order the winter cover kit with out any problems. If they have a problem with it, tell them that it is a gift for your brother that lives in Minnesota.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
05dmaxFT;1579521; said:
you should be able to go to a dealer and just order the winter cover kit with out any problems. If they have a problem with it, tell them that it is a gift for your brother that lives in Minnesota.
Thanks, ordering it isnt a prob, but i feel that a 47,000$ truck should include this cover.I could see if i lived in florida but Any body with some sense know it gets COLD in Ohio!:)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Spend the hundred bucks and get a Cloudrider or something that looks nice. I got the factory one with my truck and it is sitting in my garage somewhere in the packaging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts