Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for 99 dually with 6.5.

So, now that truck is running again after my teen used gas instead of diesel...sigh.

I actually had the feed the beast upgraded FFM from leroy diesel sitting in the truck.

History, I've got rid of most leaks on the truck and figured out I was still leaking some diesel. Since there are several ways to repair/check I figured getting the complete FFM with feed the beast would handle most issues and be biggest chance to fix my leaks in one repair session.

As I was studying and looking at videos I realized that my OPS switch is likely right there by FFM.

I have upgraded my lift pump but I've never changed my OPS. Looks like with FFM out of the way this will be easier.

D1808A AC delco appears to be right thing? Correct?

From the video it appears this tool works

Ones like below are almost as expensive as the snap on

Anyway, perhaps I hold on feed the beast upgrade until I'm ready to do both at same time.

Thoughts?

NH

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
This is for 99 dually with 6.5.

So, now that truck is running again after my teen used gas instead of diesel...sigh.

I actually had the feed the beast upgraded FFM from leroy diesel sitting in the truck.

History, I've got rid of most leaks on the truck and figured out I was still leaking some diesel. Since there are several ways to repair/check I figured getting the complete FFM with feed the beast would handle most issues and be biggest chance to fix my leaks in one repair session.

As I was studying and looking at videos I realized that my OPS switch is likely right there by FFM.

I have upgraded my lift pump but I've never changed my OPS. Looks like with FFM out of the way this will be easier.

D1808A AC delco appears to be right thing? Correct?

From the video it appears this tool works

Ones like below are almost as expensive as the snap on

Anyway, perhaps I hold on feed the beast upgrade until I'm ready to do both at same time.

Thoughts?

NH
Yes, change out your OPS if it has not been replaced and the AC/Delco part number is correct.
With the FFM out of the way. it will make access a little easier but the OPS in your 99' is tucked up under the #7 intake finger, at an angle and will still give you a little challenge.
A plumbers basin wrench or crows foot will probably work best.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If it is for one of the trucks in your sig. The OPS is not that big of an issue on 96 and up OBD 2 trucks. They dont carry much current. The OPS just operates a relay. Instead of the pump itself. Older trucks the OPS operated the pump directly. The current draw eventually burnt them out.. But if It gives you peace of mind. Change it and keep the old one for a spare. Cuz it is most likely still good.
Also Unless you are running a good tune you really dont need to "Feed the Beast". Without a tune its just work for little, if any gain in power.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is for the 99 Dually in my sig.

Couple things.
1. I have a small fuel leak of some sort, so I'm going to have to dig in there and find it anyway. I figured FTB already on the FFM from Leroy would have a great chance of fixing the leak in one big swoop.

2. Then I'll have a FFM that I can potentially figure out the leak and modify with FTB for my 99 Suburban and then I'll have a backup FFM. No leaks or issues that I know of on the suburban.

3. I think I've experienced lack of fuel on a long uphill tow. I had picked up a bit over a yard of topsoil and didn't get it dumped out that day. So I was in the mountains of WNC heading back to a relatives house and had to go up some pretty big/steep hills. I had downshifted the automatic and was going about 35 or 40 mph and at "just about" the top of my last hill it was weird. I was at about half throttle or a bit more and realized that when I was pushing for more throttle, not much was happening, in fact I was slowing down.

I back off, crested the hill, tried to add power and it went just fine.

I can't know for sure that it was fuel starved or that FTB would have made that not happen, but I think it's a pretty good assumption.

I haven't tried to replicate the conditions since then, but might after FTB is installed.

Thoughts?

Best,

NH

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If you already have the parts then by all means install them. All I was saying is. Dont expect a lot more power without a tune and exhaust upgrades.
I did my FTB after I upgraded the turbo impeller to a wicked wheel, and got the KOJO tune. The FTB did make a difference. Had more power when pulling and better overall performance. Also a good lift pump (14 PSI), is a must have.
Just wondering? Do you have a EGT gauge? The way you described your truck de fueling. Sounds to me like the PCM was de fueling and causing the power loss because of high EGT. If you have a Cat or soot trap on the truck, it may be plugged. A good flowing exhaust will do wonders for the truck and lower EGT.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No EGT gauge. I picked this thing up at an auction a bit over a year ago and haven't really had lots of time to spend fooling with it or upgrading it.

I've got several exhaust leaks and rattles, so my plan is to buy a new exhaust from the turbo back. I had tried to just fixed the leak at the flange but several bolts broke off and I decided to use a clamp for a while.. :)

I also need to work through all my grounds, because I have several weird readings that show up on my scanner. Whoever had this before has done some "interesting" wiring repairs here and there. I've corrected a few...many more to go.

Thanks for the info and thoughts.

NH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts