Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 1981 chevy 3/4ton 4x4 6.2 with th400 tranny. I though '82 was the first year for this engine but the registration says '81. It has around 130,000 miles and new starter and new batteries. It sat for about a year and all the tranny fluid leaked out, so it has a leak some place. Body is in good condition and has good tires. I drove it today and it runs great but tranny linkage is very sloppy, just flops all over. Reverse didnt work but might be from there being very little tranny fluid in it, oh and when he started it the alternator mounting bolts arced like a mother Censoreder. There is a split right down the wind sheild and the glove box fills with water. The oil pressure was 20psi at idle and 50psi cruising down the road. I looked for bubbles in the radiator for a blown head gasket and didnt see any. I also opened the oil filler cap and there was a steady fog comming out so is this bad? He's asking $2900 for it, I'm not going to give him this much, so what do you guys think its worth based on what I told you?

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it, I figured I would ask the pros before I end up with a peice of junk.

·
Registered
672 Posts
about the fog. if it had not been running for a while, that could just be moisture evaporating from the engine. if you take off the oil cap, and put your hand over it, and there is pressure, that means your getting blow-by, and the rings are basically worn out. BUT if it was just a steam-fog kinda thing, i wouldnt worry about it. if it has a SOLID body, i would give him 2000 for it. the truck could be worth more, but considering the glove box and the windshield, yeah. the oil pressure kinda seems a little on the low side, maybe the oil just needs changed... dosent sound like that bad of a truck over all

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first the truck wouldnt move and it was out of tranny fluid, then I drove it and whent to backup in its spot and no reverse, I'll look into this before I buy it. There is another truck Im going to look at next week, It looks like a '79 chevy 1ton dually 2wd flat bed in great condition. I really want the 6.2 but if the price is right Ill go with the flatbed. That 6.2 sure ran good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what you wrote I would not go over a grand UNLESS the body was in stellar shape.

·
Registered
60 Posts
heres a good one................................

I was at pull ypur part on the weekend getting other stuff..............

as we were in the checkout....time was 15minute to close we saw a 82 3\4 ton on a trailer on the scales and buddy said there u go...........

for some reason .......the guys that brought it in wanted the tires from it and they were not allowed to take them off or it could have been the steal stuff in the box........

but their loss my gain...........got it for free and they delivered it to my house a few miles away.signed a sales agreement and took the tires off and said they will bring the rims back..........................

and it runs not too bad

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Let me get this straight, you got a complete running truck minus tires for FREE!!

IF that is the case, that is incredble. Wish I could fall into sh!t and come out smellin like roses too. :D

Congrats and C-ya

·
Registered
60 Posts
yup thats is right and don't miss they delivered it to my house and did all the werk

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow How come this never happens to me? I wonder if it was rusty?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Harry, you wanna SELL that truck and make 100% profit?

C-ya

·
Registered
382 Posts
$2900 just sounds like a lot for what you describe. $1900, maybe less.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
ssure I will sell.but I am up in canada

thinking of driving it

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
What kind of shape is it in aesthetically and mechanically? Pics? Where at in Can.? Do you know anything about transferring vehicles across borders?

C-ya

·
Registered
60 Posts
I qam in calgary alberta and I know nuthing of brining it to the us..........and it is an 82 with rust ...I can take some pics but it is covered in snow..............

been snowing for the past 3 days

and it runs well.easiley stated in low temps

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
PM me please. I would like to exchange emails to get some pics and talk prices. ;)

C-ya

·
Registered
60 Posts
pm sent

·
Registered
484 Posts
could you post some pics? im just curious about what you got for free! :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to see it also

·
Registered
60 Posts
can't get pics today...............

must go out drinking as it is a buddies b-day...........

it is all there and just a little rusty........I will try for some pics tomorrow......it is also now covered in snow...........................

but it does run good now with a clean air filter...........

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
$2900 is too much.

As far as free vehicles go, they are out there. I've never seen a free 6.2 (not yet anyway), but then again I've only seen one 6.2 for sale. I bought it! $350.00 was all I gave for mine, and I didn't put a whole lot into it in parts, either. The truck now runs great, but the body is sort of rough. That's the beauty of these old 80's GM rigs, though. I can pretty much buy a good used body for $400-500.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok, there are not a huge shortage of diesel rigs. Check ebay-check craigslist. There are many oute there. 2900 is a lot for a rig that old. It better be in great shape. You will be rebuilding the tranny-which is about 1300 bucks. Windshield-400. Other stuff-500-1000.

Do the math-and walk away. Let some other sucker take it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts