Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off when will the Duramax duallys be out , I dont mind waiting , BUt I do want to get the best for the time being.
I had a LLY truck with 500 rwhp , and I do plan to mod my next one , but which one will that be ? I know there is somethings out for the LBZ, but what about the LMM when it comes out . Is there a chance that I wont be able to mod the LMM?

HELP ME OUT PLEASE !!!
Any other concerns throw at me about each truck .

I really like the interior of the new trucks versus the old

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I''m sure people will figure out how to mod an LMM, but I'm sure it won't be as easy as modding an LBZ. The exhaust sounds like its going to be a nightmare, so unless you are prepared to spend allot of money and time on the exhaust you wont be able to add as much power as you added to your LLY. Im sure there will be aftermarket exhaust but you will probably have to put the factory exhaust on every year to get it inspected. Im by no means an expert, I thought about this before I bought my LBZ thats why I chose the LBZ. But I do like the new body style.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Lbz first and lmm maybe if i didnt have a choice from what i hear.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So you mean to tell us that the new diesels are going to have to go through smog checks every year like gas vehicles? if that's the case I'll go buy an Lbz instead.Does anybody know for sure if that's what's going to happen?
LWATSON;1580984; said:
I''m sure people will figure out how to mod an LMM, but I'm sure it won't be as easy as modding an LBZ. The exhaust sounds like its going to be a nightmare, so unless you are prepared to spend allot of money and time on the exhaust you wont be able to add as much power as you added to your LLY. Im sure there will be aftermarket exhaust but you will probably have to put the factory exhaust on every year to get it inspected. Im by no means an expert, I thought about this before I bought my LBZ thats why I chose the LBZ. But I do like the new body style.

·
Banned
720 Posts
i would buy a lbz and wait a year or so to see how the new ones do before you pay the price for one the first ones may be trouble

·
Registered
167 Posts
catch03;1581486; said:
i would buy a lbz and wait a year or so to see how the new ones do before you pay the price for one the first ones may be trouble
:agreed: :agreed:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You only have to get them smog checked if you live in a state the requires it. Otherwise, no you don't ever have to get it checked. Chris

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
D/AChris;1582128; said:
You only have to get them smog checked if you live in a state the requires it. Otherwise, no you don't ever have to get it checked. Chris
Theres still a visual inspection of the exhaust every year. Right now they only have to check for catalitic converters, some duramaxs didnt have them so allot of inspectors wont notice the fact that it has been removed. With the new system they are less likely to look the other way. All they can do is fail you, then you'll either have to find an inspector who does'nt care that you removed the emission stuff or you'll just have to put it back on long enough to get it inspected.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i fill as long as its a diesel there will always be chips and programmers same way with the gas jobs there will always be stuff out there for power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
just my 2 cents....

but if you want to mod a truck why would you want one thats got emmissions standards to meet every year or 2? The LBZ has a good aftermarket and no emissions, along with no waiting, and prven potential..... id stick with that. Emmissions is the worst thing to happen to a modified car/ truck from my experience.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
LWATSON;1583419; said:
Theres still a visual inspection of the exhaust every year. Right now they only have to check for catalitic converters, some duramaxs didnt have them so allot of inspectors wont notice the fact that it has been removed. With the new system they are less likely to look the other way. All they can do is fail you, then you'll either have to find an inspector who does'nt care that you removed the emission stuff or you'll just have to put it back on long enough to get it inspected.
IT all depends on your state and what they require

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
thejdman04;1584143; said:
IT all depends on your state and what they require
Exactly, in KY we do not have any checks, or at least I know of no one who has ever had to. I feel for the ones who do have to check. Chris

·
Registered
295 Posts
I ordered the 07.5 with the LMM because I have this sickness with needing whatever is new.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm in the same boat, what to do :confuzeld . Sweet "new" truck with the LMM and all the goodies that come with it, or proven design, all the bugs worked out, and a AWESOME website with all the stuff figured out for you, ie: perfomance parts as well as the know how to go along with it. New everything truck :thumb: but retarted exhaust as well as first year change over b/s :thumbsdow. I need to get a new truck as well and this is the sh*t I go through, and I change my mind about every 10 min.:rolleyes: What to do what to do:help:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick Storm;1583483; said:
maybe lease an lbz for a couple years, then think about the new truck.
I didn't know you could lease a diesel truck. I wonder how much the lease payment would be on an 06 or 07 Chevy Duramax 2500HD Crew cab LBZ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
To the guy trying to decide between an lbz and the new one, my advice would be to get an lbz if there's ANY chance you might want to hop the engine up. Like others have said, the emissions stuff on the '07s is a LOT more complicated than the '06s and back, and you can bet they will be looking harder for mods on trucks with problems. Add to that the first year blues that any manufacturer will have. I'm a dodge guy, but I like learning about all 3 of the trucks. That said, ford has been getting the word out that there is ABSOLUTELY NO room for any type of modifications to the exhaust system or engine, and the exhaust system is considered a part of the emissions system now. They want to void your warranty if you even cut off those goofy looking tips, since the tips are designed to keep discharge temperatures in check when the dpf is being cleaned. I wouldn't think gm's stance would be much different, since they all have to run pretty much the same equipment to comply with the emissions regulations.

·
Registered
304 Posts
v8440;1594571; said:
To the guy trying to decide between an lbz and the new one, my advice would be to get an lbz if there's ANY chance you might want to hop the engine up. Like others have said, the emissions stuff on the '07s is a LOT more complicated than the '06s and back, and you can bet they will be looking harder for mods on trucks with problems. Add to that the first year blues that any manufacturer will have. I'm a dodge guy, but I like learning about all 3 of the trucks. That said, ford has been getting the word out that there is ABSOLUTELY NO room for any type of modifications to the exhaust system or engine, and the exhaust system is considered a part of the emissions system now. They want to void your warranty if you even cut off those goofy looking tips, since the tips are designed to keep discharge temperatures in check when the dpf is being cleaned. I wouldn't think gm's stance would be much different, since they all have to run pretty much the same equipment to comply with the emissions regulations.
You make a good point. Once you make significant mods, your warranty usually goes "poof". And a 5yr/100k warranty is nothing you want to throw out the window unless the mods have major benefits. (eliminating the DPF is not one of them IMHO). The manufacturers are getting real stingy about warranty coverage and PCM's are getting much smarter at detecting what's been done to it's engine.

If mod'ing is your thing, go with an older design.

·
Registered
27 Posts
LWATSON;1583419; said:
I live in Vegas and they have been smog checking and inspecting diesels for about 5 yrs now, they strap em down on a dyno and you run it somewhere around 40mph. One tons weighing 10k or more are exempt as well as anything above one ton.

·
Registered
301 Posts
chevydog66;1591533; said:
I didn't know you could lease a diesel truck. I wonder how much the lease payment would be on an 06 or 07 Chevy Duramax 2500HD Crew cab LBZ?

i priced it out for a fully loaded CC D/A, and it figures to be $800/month with $2K due at signing, and this with a sticker price of $48K. GMAC finacing, though, which sucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts