Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating buying an 04 3500 Dmax. my only concern is I hear of all the injector problems,and other fuel related problems. I

currently have an 01 3500 8.1l/ally it has 80,000 on it with no problems at all. before this one I had a 98 3500 with a 454. it had

220,000 on it when I traded it for the 01. the only problem with it was

a fuel pump failure at 90,000. I use my truck for buisness and I can't afford to have it in the shop all the time. I tow approx 8,000 lbs.

almost every weekend of the year. through various terrain all over the country. I really want to try the diesel, for the extra power and mileage, but I am worried I might make a mistake as far as dependibility goes. I know other people have had problems with the 8.1l but I haven't and I just don't won't to be disappointed with

the Dmax. so should I stick with the depedability of the gassers or make the switch and never look back.

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
Get the 04 LLY D/A early next year and never look back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Unless you have money burning a hole, at 80,000 miles and no problems I would keep the 8.1. Sounds like you have a good one. Spending 40K for better milage don't make sense.

However if you just want a diesel go for it. Can't give you any input on depenability mine only has 200 miles on it, but I love it.

Put on one of the 2 micron filters and I think most here will say you won't have injector problems.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I personall would wait just a month or two for the LLY engine and beefier trans. Then I would trade in a HeartBeat

·
Registered
365 Posts
JDTRIP,

NO! Not if you plan on putting high mileage on the Duramax.

I am sitting with one that has 158,000+ on. The dealer told me today "we can't fix it". It shuts off pulling trailers. Have spent over $6,000 in the past few months on fuel system problems. High pressure fuel pressure tests and many more tests all pass. The truck still shuts off. It's not reasonable to continue chasing ghosts.

Waiting for district manager to allow me a credit for some of the repairs. Then I will get another one tomorrow. Without a special "deal"...NO! Then I just don't know what I'll do.

Hopefully the new motor will not have these problems. I just cannot wait for it as I need to haul a trailer this coming Thursday. The whole situation is sickening.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I love mine,.. No msajor problems to date.. - the LLY will be better but I wouldn't want to buy one of the first ones and have to iron out all the bugs. I'd wait a year.. Let the LLY and the new turbo get some miles under them.

captainmal -> Sorry you've had all those problems.. But with every manufacture you get the odd lemon.. I just hope they sort you out.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You read about injector issues and how to prevent them, But I dont read that much about the problems.... I know they are out there but not as common as people think..... Buy the truck, enjoy it, if you are worried add a secondary filter.... They are great trucks

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Sorry to here of your problems captainmal...........

I have 28K trouble free miles on my Dmax...........I am completely happy with the truck and my dealer service for the steering bearing and other than a broken window I have had ZERO problems.

I just installed a NICKTANE 2m pre OEM filter and have closely tracked fuel mileage from new. I will post any performance or mileage gains when the time comes. Hopefully I have very little injector wear as I religiously changed my fule filters.

If you buy a new Dmax a 2m. pre or post fuel filter, change out the fluids after the first 500 miles or so............synthetic??? well I run DYNO in the motor, sythetic everywhere else.

I think with the wealth of knowledge here you can find out anything....I have seen very little negatives on the Dmax and some of these trucks have been put thru a wringer with HP mods.

Ask Kingd,Quad,Mac or Sdaver to name a few.

T
NY

·
Registered
612 Posts
I tend to agree with blowingsmoke ... since you have an '01 that is doing well, I'd run it another year and continue to monitor the preformance of the LLY ... if they prove to be all that is projected, look to trade at the end of '04 or early '05 ...

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
From what I understand the Duramax engines are going to be constrained over the next several months. According to GM new duramax vehciles will be in short supply. I bought mine on Friday becuae of this information. Carsdirect.com has bumped their price becuase of this. I searched the market hard for a used one like an 03 with low miles but even in metro Atlanta I found nothing.

The XM radio is the ticket.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
365 Posts
Guys,

My recommendation is an emphatic "NO" if the truck is to be kept for high mileage. My truck ran perfect for 117,000 miles. After that it has been injectors, fuel pressure regulators, electrical connectors , mass air sensors, injector control circuits, positive voltage controls, fuel system leaks etc.

I'm way out of waranty. The fuel system is so full of expensive, fragile Bosch parts and electronic controls that it is not reasonable to replace everything to find out what is failing. It is not unrealistic to expect my repair bills to be far over $10,000 if I continue to chase the problems. Time to cut and run. GM will NOT in any way help me or the dealer that has concluded...."We can't fix it". (J. Thomas...Cochran GMC)

All the fuel filters in the world will only help with injector problems. There are far more problems with this fuel system than injectors and they are bad enough.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
CAP,

I DONT SEE ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS GOING AWAY WITH THE INCREASED TECHNOLOGY. tHESE SYSTEMS WILL BECOME MORE COMMON.....

sorry for the caps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts