Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fella's. I have a few questions and I was hoping some of you'all could give me some advice. I currently drive an 04 D-Max C/C LB 4x4. My problem is I need another truck. I have a buddy who is seeling his 94 GMC Extended cab dually 4x4 5spd with the 6.5 in it. I haul anything from a 24 foot dove with my skid steer to my 4 horse trailer. My buddy is the original owner of this truck and has meticulously maintained it. It has 132,000 miles on it. Traditionally you don't hear much good about the 6.5 but truthfully I have no personal knowledge of these motors. As a lifetime Ford guy turned GM fan due to the invention of the D-Max do you think I would be disapointed with the performance of the 6.5. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
it aint gonna tow anything like your dmax but it gets the job done and is a very reliable motor if matined right and it sounds like your buddy took good care of it good lukc with your decision i love my 6.5 td read the FAQ' and youll get most of your questions anwsered

·
Registered
21 Posts
PDF- If the price is right and you add some mods for a little more and respect that its 12 years old (it isnt going to be perfect), I dont think you would be disappointed. I've had mine 13 years and I'll still probably have it 13 years from now.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Same here. I had a 350 TBI suburban and was told by a local diesel shop that my gas 350 would tow better than a 6.5L. So I decided to go with a powerstroke because I knew I wanted a crew cab. Couldn't find any powerstrokes with low enough mileage I would feel comfortable buying. I actually went to look at what I was told over the phone to be a very clean 97 with only 90K on it. Got there and the truck was a pile of crap. Across the street was a 99 CC GMC with a 6.5L. Drove it. Came back next day drove it again. Went back 3 days later and haven't regretted it since. The dude at the diesel shop was wayyyyy off. I towed my trailer once with my suburban. After hooking it up to my 99 there was no comparison. Mine tows 7000 lbs. pretty well. Only the real long hills slow it down some. It definitely won't pull like the D-MAX. But you also won't be paying $40 grand either. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again fellas. I should add the price is $8000.00 and that gets me the truck and a 1994 12 ft slide in camper that is in as good of shape as the truck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks again fellas. I should add the price is $8000.00 and that gets me the truck and a 1994 12 ft slide in camper that is in as good of shape as the truck.
That's a decent deal!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts