Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to shorten the OEM radio antenna about 1" so it doesn't hit on the garage opening. Don't really listen to normal radio anymore since I got XM so reception isn't a biggie but would like to retain factory antenna. Has anyone done this or know how to?

·
Registered
511 Posts
For $20 you can get a cool shortie billet antenna in your choice of colors....

I changed mine for the same reason, I hate dragging it along the roof of parking structures

If you dont want to spend a penny, just grab your wire cutters and clip away. I guess you could put a little rubber nub on the tip to finish it off...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have been the short, billet route ...just didn't care for it, althought I think it got better reception. I was wondering if there is a way to shorten it via the base vice the tip as I would like to keep the tip so it looks normal.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ahh, I see what you're getting at.. good luck

·
Registered
115 Posts
I took a hacksaw to my corvette antenna; it’s about 5 inches tall now. Pulled the little ball off and glued it back on, painted black and reinstalled with no problems. Did this 3 yrs ago and haven't experience a problem.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll try and cut some off the tip ...didn't know the tip was removable or could be re-attached.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
joshz06 said:
I took a hacksaw to my corvette antenna; it’s about 5 inches tall now. Pulled the little ball off and glued it back on, painted black and reinstalled with no problems. Did this 3 yrs ago and haven't experience a problem.
DUDE!!!! a hacksaw should be no where near a Corvette....EVER!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey, you might try looking into this. I bought one recently and haven't had the chance to install it yet.

http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=HAB

It's called Hidden Antenna and you can completely get rid of it. I'll install it this week and report back with my opinion on it. From what I've seen so far, it's pretty nice.

I've always hated the antennas. I don't mind the XM or OnStar, but the big one has to go.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
That hidden antenna doesn't work with AM they say. Not that I listen to am. Does anyone make a nice power antenna?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hog,

As mentioned above, the little ball on the end pops off, I used a die grinder and knocked about 2 inches off of mine. Smoothed the end down an tapped the ball back on. I looks factory.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HD-Nate said:
Hog,

As mentioned above, the little ball on the end pops off, I used a die grinder and knocked about 2 inches off of mine. Smoothed the end down an tapped the ball back on. I looks factory.

Most excellent. I'll do this tonight ...tired of the antenna hitting the top of my garage door everytime I go in/out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts