Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor seems to spin up, but the truck doesn't accelerate as fast as it should. This is in 2nd, 3rd, 4th when rolling into it from cruising RPMs (1500-ish).

I commute 20 miles in stop and go traffic daily and it seems like I'm constantly waiting for forward motion to catch up to my right foot. Am I just expecting too much from my converter?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
woops...mods can move to Alli OEM as my trans is stock.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Motor seems to spin up, but the truck doesn't accelerate as fast as it should. This is in 2nd, 3rd, 4th when rolling into it from cruising RPMs (1500-ish).

I commute 20 miles in stop and go traffic daily and it seems like I'm constantly waiting for forward motion to catch up to my right foot. Am I just expecting too much from my converter?
Your Alli needs a little help.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Sounds like it's time to join the club.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I`m having the same problem. Seems like the tranny has a bad delay in shifting. RPMs are up and no go!! I`ve heard of after market fix to increase pressures.It should firm shifts and hook up sooner with the increased RPMs. Just a good guess though !!!

2005 3500 LLY RCLB/WT/Juiced w/Attitude

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bareece,

My issues are not during shifts...this is just rolling into it from partial (cruising) or no throttle (coasting as traffic slows down) in 2nd - 5th with TC unlocked.

Are you talking about the TranGo Jr.? From what I've read, it increases line pressures, but I thought that was exclusive to the trans. TransGo Jr. Doesn't help the TC, right Mike?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bully Dog Trans shift kit. I saw it online and sounds like part of my fix . The other part being TC. Mabey not the same problems you are having.. I don`t get the Rolling into it issue you get. My problem is when you foot is in it and you want a Firm Shift instead of the Tranny seeming to pause or mabey even slip somewhat !! I have read enough here to believe the a TC upgrade with Mods is common place.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bully Dog Trans shift kit. I saw it online and sounds like part of my fix . The other part being TC. Mabey not the same problems you are having.. I don`t get the Rolling into it issue you get. My problem is when you foot is in it and you want a Firm Shift instead of the Tranny seeming to pause or mabey even slip somewhat !! I have read enough here to believe the a TC upgrade with Mods is common place.

You might as well take a hundred bucks and burn it with a lighter if you buy the bully dog shift kit.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
x2....save for NEW trans....now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gee Thanks Guys ! I will continue to look else where. Any input for the right shift kit?

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
breece what kind of MPG do you get with your truck?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm not sure if a shift kit will help you if you clutches are burned. You might be just putting a band aid on it. Save up for the big dog and have fun with it.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
wreed LMM ,
I`m getting 15 -16 mpg in level 3 which is about 65 extra hp. Short trips to work and on the farm kill that but great preformance ! Hwy mpgs around 18. not bad for a 1 Ton truck with 1000 lbs of tools in the bed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shaydog,
Talked to a friend who was GM mechanic for 17 years. He asked if I installed the programmer when I bought the truck. No I told him. He suggested making the tranny relearn!! It seemed to work out my issue with delay shifting. Now she hooks up real nice. 35 miles an hour she will fish hook on damp roads. Dry pavement it just sits you back in the seat. I would still like to know what shift kit would be best so as not to slip the clutches. Also would like to know about TC upgrade! Any info would be Great !!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Bareece,

The transgo kit is very well recieved on this site. It seems to be the way to go if you are not going to rebuild the trans. There are many TC's out there that will get the job done. I am a Suncoast fan and am very happy with their product. My thought was that if I was going to pay someone to install my torque converter than I might as well have the whole show done while they were in there. Here is a nice comparison that may help. 2 trucks same year and motor, one with Banks other with Edge (comprable tunes), both have intake and exhaust, one built trans and one stock on same day, same dyno. The Edge truck has 32" tires and the Banks truck has 35" tires.

Edge w/ stock trans- 321 RWHP 630 RWTQ

Banks w/ Suncoast- 423 RWHP 901 RWTQ

FYI, the Banks set up was still making power when I let off. Newby mistake. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shaydog,
I`m pleased with my programer so far but was more intrested in the strain on my trans. I really work this thing some times and need to keep her alive as long as I can. Any work done to the truck will have to be done by me as I am quiet streached on cash. Kids seem to do that you know!! I will write down the info and start saving for the transgo kit and converter though. Haven`t installed exhaust yet but I see it comming next as the EGTs aren`t where I would like to see them. Hope 4 in exhaust will drop them a couple hundred degs.though. Thanks for the info I need more of that all the time..

·
Registered
907 Posts
IMHO, I would not run over 3 on your stock trans. with the edge. 4" exhaust is a good idea. Don't forget to install an intake at the same time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shaydogg
Have an Airforce One cold air intake already, but you are right about the stock tranny. I don`t think I would go beyond level 3 without some work on the tranny. I`m saving for the Transgo kit and TC now but will have to install it myself . No Problem !!! Do Trans work all the time anyway..Don`t you use blocker Plate on EGR ? I will likely make one today for mine as I hear it helps with Heat issues also. Also don`t like the thought of all that carbon being injected back into the engine..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Shaydogg
Have an Airforce One cold air intake already, but you are right about the stock tranny. I don`t think I would go beyond level 3 without some work on the tranny. I`m saving for the Transgo kit and TC now but will have to install it myself . No Problem !!! Do Trans work all the time anyway..Don`t you use blocker Plate on EGR ? I will likely make one today for mine as I hear it helps with Heat issues also. Also don`t like the thought of all that carbon being injected back into the engine..
Which TC are you thinking of going with?

·
Registered
167 Posts
i was having the same problem. today i flashed my tcm, seems like the "lack of pull" that i was feeling is much better instantly. later this week i will drop the pan and do a full flush and internal filter. i used a snap on scan tool and watched all peramaters as i drove. under WOT it did not show any slip throughout the gears or tc with edge on 5/5. i have never limped my trans. i would try to find someone that can flash it for you. and flush with internal filter replacement. i think im not getting the fluid preasure i should due to the filter. i would suggest you try the same unless you are ready for the trans build.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts