Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been pretty cold here in Michigan (0F - 20F) for the past couple of weeks. The truck has been setting in the driveway for over a week now with no driving. Does it hurt to take it up into town for a short errand now and then (like 2-5 miles)? Or would this cause problems over an extended number of short runs with no significant engine RPM's or warm-up?

Just checking. I have an old Honda Accord I have been using for errands but it sure would be nice to just drive the truck - especially with the snow.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
There are a lot of opinions on driving them from cold like that.

Me, I want to keep mine forever. So I plug 'er in when it's that cold and let it run for a minute or two at idle and then a couple minutes at 1200 RPM, then take off gently.

A lot of people say that extended idle times are rough on engines, the prevailing opinion seems to be warm it up, but not for 30 minutes.

I know people who just jump in gasser vehicles and take off, and if they keep 'em for a while, lots of 'em eventually burn blue smoke. One guy I know practically lets the clutch out on the starter, and it smokes like hell, but it won't quit, so I don't know what to make of that. I do know that no one would even think of buying "that piece of crap."

Mine just feels runs and feels better with some heat in it. Plus, my Juice comes alive at 190ish or so, so I run it easy until the Juice comes on, keep it easy until the tranny locks up, and then look out everyone....

I had a 6.2 Suburban and unless you warmed it up, it felt like you were just beating the poor thing.

If you like driving it so much, take it a little further up the road and get it good and hot and enjoy the trip!

Sorry I don't have reams of paper to back up why my approach is better, just going on gut feel and experience.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I think the engine will out last the injection system. I dont think it matters if you drive it cold.

Its like tieing a 20,000 pound tow strap (engine) to the the hook with a kite string (injectors).

The engine can go 3-400,000 miles. The injectors will blow long before that 40-150,000 miles.

You wont hurt the engine.

My truck will be sold at the crucial 78,000 mile mark. (80,000 is where banks wont finance them anymore) Unless the buyer has cash you eliminate 95% of the possible buyers.Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
21 Posts
I always like to let our diesel engine worm up good when its cold out. If you dont get the temp over 170 on a engine it will leave mosture in the engine worse over that temp it evaraps out is what i heard. like some one else said maybe drive it a luttle further to worm it up.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I agree with nwpadmax on warm up and first couple miles take it east till some temps come up .... I also will extend my ride ,given time,not hard considering I enjoy the ride ,to get the engine at full operating tempature to raise the oil temp to normal temp ....

Get a cup of Joe and go for a ride .....

Mac

·
Registered
10 Posts
problemchild said:
I think the engine will out last the injection system. I dont think it matters if you drive it cold.

Ouch...good point, but still ouch. That sure is an unfortunate situation isn't it?

I want this truck to last, but that damn injection system has me worried.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Driving either a gas or a diesel short distances and then shutting them down, especially in cold weather, isn't good. The engine never gets a chance to warm up and you end up with moisture in the engine, exhaust system, etc. It's just that a diesel that hasn't been plugged in will take just that much longer to warm up than a gas engine. Also consider that the 5.3L gas engine takes 6 quarts of oil, while the DMax takes 10 quarts of oil and you know warmup will be longer. This doesn't even take into consideration the differences in the engines and the cooling capacity of them either.

·
Banned
394 Posts
jump in and drive it like you stole it

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Ideally it should be allowed to warm up. Having said that, most times it can't be done. When you have to go to the store, you have to go. Drive it, change the oil early if you don't get to warm it up enough.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Definately drive it long enough to get it fully warmed up. As others have said, moisture in the engine and exhaust is bad news!

·
Registered
692 Posts
it does not hurt a diesel as much as a gas motor to jump in and go. yet it is better to let it idle and get warm.short trip driving is not the best thing on a diesel either. diessls love to breathe and love rpm's is your choice. you have 100k warranty abuse now fix later. hope it breaks under 100k miles.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts