Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folx,

i just got an email from kennedy about the 4" exhaust i just ordered for my 02 dmax/alli. here is what it said. "

It has come to my attention that the first pipe in your exhaust kit is likely too short by approx 7.5" There will be an extension and SS band clamp enroute ASAP to correct this. My apologies for any inconvenience. If your system is not too short, please disregard this message."

i wrote back that i would not accept "this fix" only because 1. i shoud have to put up with somebodies measuring problem and 2 i ordered a system that has the fewest amount o f individual pipes. all his "fix" does is add another point of potential air leakage. am i being to harsh or not? Also, what is "ASAP" i assume that i first have to measure all the pipes and then notify him that one is to short and he in turn will ship the extra pipe and clamp. i am alsmost crtain the pipe would not make it here to meet my wednesday appointment i made with my mechanic o put this system on. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
this is america. if you dont like it return it. or ask kennedy to fix it correctly. chances are he will.... after all it is his reputaton.... for what thats worth.

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Isn't a supplyer suppose to know if it will fit? Wonder if i could get away with that line? " tow it back to your house after you pay me and i will send the parts when i get them" then you can drive your truck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
For those of you who have not purchased JK's exhaust, Kennedy does not build his own systems but utilizes a muffler/exhaust system company. Often, the systems are mailed directly from this company...not from Kennedy.

I do admit. This puts Kennedy in a vulnerable position as this does not put him in control of the final product shipped to the customer.

I also had a problem when I received my system. The S/S muffler bands were entirely missing. Kennedy asked me to purchase them locally. Which I did and he reimbursed me.

If I were in your shoes I would not accept Kennedy's suggested fix and ask for the correct downpipe be shipped or provide a full refund including shipping both ways.

·
Registered
310 Posts
seatec said:
hey folx,

i just got an email from kennedy about the 4" exhaust i just ordered for my 02 dmax/alli. here is what it said. "

It has come to my attention that the first pipe in your exhaust kit is likely too short by approx 7.5" There will be an extension and SS band clamp enroute ASAP to correct this. My apologies for any inconvenience. If your system is not too short, please disregard this message."

i wrote back that i would not accept "this fix" only because 1. i shoud have to put up with somebodies measuring problem and 2 i ordered a system that has the fewest amount o f individual pipes. all his "fix" does is add another point of potential air leakage. am i being to harsh or not? Also, what is "ASAP" i assume that i first have to measure all the pipes and then notify him that one is to short and he in turn will ship the extra pipe and clamp. i am alsmost crtain the pipe would not make it here to meet my wednesday appointment i made with my mechanic o put this system on. what do you guys think?

Lemme see if I got this right.

You ordered an exhaust system from Kennedy.

It was manufactured and will be drop shipped to you by ANOTHER COMPANY.

THE OTHER COMPANY screwed up and informed Kennedy that they may have built some of these systems with the incorrect length.

So Kennedy is proactive and informs you that you might have a problem and offers to fix it. Before your system even arrives.

You don't know if your system will have a short pipe or not.

But you're willing to publicly complain about it.

Is there someone here, on this forum, who will fix this potential problem for you?

Now I agree that adding an extension is not my favorite way to fix it, even though the band clamp is definitely not gonna leak. The point is, nobody else's opinion matters on this. The right answer is purely between you and John Kennedy.

I'm sure he'll do what's right to make you happy. But complaining about stuff like this publicly probably won't help.

Here's my advice, since you asked. Ask him nicely for a new pipe. Keep in mind the whole "you get more with honey than vinegar" theory. He will probably get the people who screwed up to fix their mistake.

Cancel your appointment if the pipe's too short. Be a little patient, since he's at the mercy of the mfr's schedule. This could be why he offered to send an extension - maybe they told him it would take a while to correct their mistake and this is faster. Consider installing it yourself, it's pretty easy. I never even considered having someone else install it for me...

I've already installed my Kennedy 4"/5" system and I had to trim it a little bit. I knew up front it would need trimming. I never considered it a drawback, quite the contrary. Same reason I prefer salad bars and steakhouses where I cook it myself. I always get a perfect meal.

Since it's getting close to Christmas time, don't forget about all of the "some assembly required" gifts and the "batteries not included" stuff. From experience, I can tell you those are definitely understatements. I'd rather install another Kennedy diesel exhaust system than go through all the Christmas day assembling!

·
Registered
457 Posts
socaldmax, seatec has every rite to complain in the public is he chooses to. Thats part of what makes this country so great. One the other hand there are certain ways to go about things. If he has contacted Kennedy about this and Kennedy sends him a "bandaid" for the fix then he is not getting what was advertised. It's one thing to have to shorten an exhaust if you have a smaller cab or bed configuration but to add something to the kit is not right. Show me another company that does this and I will gladly reconsider.

On another note I started an exhaust thread not to long ago and was warned about customer service issues. I have no first hand experience and I understand you will always hear from more people with bad experiences than good ones but I thank seatac for bringing this to everyone's attention. After all the only way for me to make an educated decision is to listen to others experiences'. Before I pass judgement I will wait to see if Kennedy fixes the problem properly. He is does that speaks volumes for his character, if not that also speaks volumes. One question I have is why Kennedy does not have it listed on his site that "his" exhaust kits are not made in-house.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i understand that kennedy does make his exhaust system in house but in my opinion that is not an excuse. . i feel that even though im glad that kennedy has warned me, he (his manufacturer) is trying to find the cheapest way out(not the best way for the customer) they dont want to waste all the pipes they cut wrongly. i "nicely" informed him before i even posted here yesterday, that i would insist on a one piece down tube or want a full refund if that where not possible. Socaldmax: i am baffled by your response. i posted this not to put kennedy in a bad light but to warn my fellow man.

oh, a small observation was that kennedy send the original email to an undisclosed recipient me wich probably means he has more than one customer that got the wrong pipe. oh well, all this may be a storm n a cup of water for me since its not certain that iw ll have one of those short pipes but with my uck.

thanks to all of you for responding.Edited by: seatec

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
why dont you call john and work this out instead of grandstanding here?.........If he does not respond then dance naked and scream foul.....Chances are you have no problem

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It must be true then ..... I thought that possibly it was BS, guess not .....

Things do go wrong although I wouldn't be interested in an additional "splice" as a fix ..... Take "who" is involved out, none of you would .....

If it were Banks ATS, etc., etc., it would be send it back, by a JK system .....
Sucks when the tied is turned but 100% customer satisfaction is tough .....

He could have just boned up said it's a manufactures blonder I apologize for them, I agree a splice is unacceptable I'll get the proper pipe out to you .... Wasn't like he was given any option to splice or not,looks that way to me ..... That tells me the manufacture wants to stick people with their problem,No ??

Good luck seatec I'm sure it will be righted but I'd have a lil frustration also if something was being thrown at me that wasn't right .... Like anyone that has ordered an upgrade, your excited, you can't wait to get it on, enjoy, then before you even get it you find out it might be NFG ..... Wear both shoe's,Of the equation,gents .... He even was paying someone to install with an apointment ..... How do you know how busy the shop is or the individuals (buyers) mechanical ability ?? Maybe he choses not to get his hands dirty,that's his option .....

Sure John's a great guy very helpful,informitive, still no reason to have to except second's and mistakes .... Give him a call (collect
) he'll get you squared away .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sdaver said:
why dont you call john and work this out instead of grandstanding here?.........If he does not respond then dance naked and scream foul.....Chances are you have no problem

Who is grand standing here? i am merely stating facts so i think you are the one grand standing. The fact of the matter is that John wants to do a quick fix with minimal cost on his part and i have to compromise. I dont need your kind of opinion buddy because you clearly have John (who probably has done right by you) at heart than a consumer which means you too buddy.

As was stated, My mechanic is very busy and so am i. to assume that i can just cancel an appointment is presumptious to say the least.

As for cotacting John, i replyed to his email immediately after it arrived and have not gotten word back yet. I assume he is also a busy man. The reason why i like to order things on-line because of coveniance and like to keep it that way. EMailing or making a call should not make any difference. Im becomming a little sorry to have posted this and tried to ask for some opinion, i dont feel i deserve to get bashed by some of you just for stating a fact. i guess that is not allowed anymore.

Edited by: seatec

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just an observation, but why even waste your time typing and replying when all might be fine WHEN the package arrives. I could just imagine how i would feel if the exhaust showed up and its the right one, and i made it public. Wow would i feel like an a$$. What happened to innocent until proven guilty.

If it is wrong and JK won't fix you up then by all means. I will say that at least he sent the piece to bandaid the problem and notify you. Maybe he should have just kept it hush and deal with it later. I'm sure you would have been real impressed finding out your short when they are trying to install it and your paying lift time and labour.

I have never bought anything from JK, not because i have a beef with him, but i try to buy all my stuff locally (if available) to support my Canadian economy, but have read alot of his posts and customer feedback and from what i gather he is a stand up guy and will fix any problems that occur.

Unfortunately its not a perfect world and things get messed up, trust me owning your own business is not easy and sometimes your at the mercy of another company or fellow man which you have no control over, but we get the complaints. I spend alot of spare time at my "performance guy " and trust me he gets alot of packages that are wrong module, wrong year, wrong whatever, and has to take the rath from the customer because the manufacture shipped wrong. Just be patient and it will all get worked out in the mail. Later Jeremy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heartbeatcanada said:
Just an observation, but why even waste your time typing and replying when all might be fine WHEN the package arrives. I could just imagine how i would feel if the exhaust showed up and its the right one, and i made it public. Wow would i feel like an a$$. What happened to innocent until proven guilty.

If it is wrong and JK won't fix you up then by all means. I will say that at least he sent the piece to bandaid the problem and notify you. Maybe he should have just kept it hush and deal with it later. I'm sure you would have been real impressed finding out your short when they are trying to install it and your paying lift time and labour.

I have never bought anything from JK, not because i have a beef with him, but i try to buy all my stuff locally (if available) to support my Canadian economy, but have read alot of his posts and customer feedback and from what i gather he is a stand up guy and will fix any problems that occur.

Unfortunately its not a perfect world and things get messed up, trust me owning your own business is not easy and sometimes your at the mercy of another company or fellow man which you have no control over, but we get the complaints. I spend alot of spare time at my "performance guy " and trust me he gets alot of packages that are wrong module, wrong year, wrong whatever, and has to take the rath from the customer because the manufacture shipped wrong. Just be patient and it will all get worked out in the mail. Later Jeremy

I think you dont understand the point of my posting. The intent of my posting was to ask if i was over reacting in not wantng to accept the "quick fix" and let John get away with making it easy and cheap for him and me having to compromise in case the down pipe is shorter. I was merely preparing for the eventuality of a short down pipe when reading the email from john is a very high probability, dont you agree?Edited by: seatec

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
OMG, I cannot beleive how some people here will do everything possible to protect Kennedy. Seatec has a good question... and it was "am i being to harsh or not? "

I got the same responce when I posted an excellent transaction by Cons performance..... Seems some think Kennedy is GOD.

Seatec, I agree with mackin... Get what you ordered and dont accept the fix. Kennedy does have a good reputation, and from my dealings with him, he will make it right..... Keep posting, this forum supports free speech

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I hate seeing these types of things getting aired out in public until they are fully resolved, whether good or bad...

After the final actions are taken... then let us know. You can get help by PM or emailing people. This goes for issues ooncerning all vendor transactions. Not laying down any rules here... Just my opinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hoot: You cant deny that that what my intention was with this post was legimitate. i was asking if i was over reacting when i asked John not to send me a if i where to have a short down pipe. What si wrong with that? it doesnt necessarily put john in a bad light. Maybe you are right but i always start gathering my resources and opinions in lieu of a possible battle. Also, i dont know John that well and dont know if he is a good business man or not. Nobody get the benefit of the doubt anymore since getting burned is common practice these days.

Do you atleast understand where i am comming from Hoot?

Thank you all for your comments.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
hoot said:
I hate seeing these types of things getting aired out in public until they are fully resolved, whether good or bad...

After the final actions are taken... then let us know. You can get help by PM or emailing people. This goes for issues ooncerning all vendor transactions. Not laying down any rules here... Just my opinion.

hoot,

I agree, but with this caveat, the public airing is sometimes necessary (not that it is in this case at least at this point) in order to get to the "final actions" that see things "fully resolved." That is not to say that PM and email (or any & all means of communication available) shouldn't precede the public airing.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
seatec said:
hoot: You cant deny that that what my intention was with this post was legimitate. i was asking if i was over reacting when i asked John not to send me a if i where to have a short down pipe. What si wrong with that? it doesnt necessarily put john in a bad light. Maybe you are right but i always start gathering my resources and opinions in lieu of a possible battle. Also, i dont know John that well and dont know if he is a good business man or not. Nobody get the benefit of the doubt anymore since getting burned is common practice these days.

Do you atleast understand where i am comming from Hoot?

Thank you all for your comments.
Don't worry a bout me seatec.... I totally understand where you're coming from. All I'm saying is the initial questions could be done though PM's and emails. It just helps in the long run. I too would want a 100% product. If after asking for it and you get it... then you could post the results. Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hoot: Yes, i see where the initial quesion might've been better thorugh pm or email. the problem is howevere that i dont know anybody on this board well enough to start bothering them with my questions. Let's just see what happens and i will report. as of this moment ahh, wait a minute. i just got an email from john.

Here is what it said.

"Please refuse the first small package. A complete pipe will be sent. A
call tag will also be issued for the incorrect pipe."

looks like he is living up to his reputation and making things right for me. Now, if only i could get another appointment for next week to have it put in. I guess i should be happy for not having to battle to get things right.

Thanks you for being a sounding board for me in this.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts

BTW:

Anytime anybody has questions about vendors and no one to ask, feel free to PM any of the DieselPlace Staff.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
nothing to do with the post but the install is pretty easy except for a few small PITA's. I wouldnt give someone 100$ to do it. JMO But if you aint got access to a place to do it and your choice is between sipping coffe for an hour inside a shop as apposed to spending 3 under your truck with numb fingers with your back in a snow drift on your gravel drive I could understand saying screw the $$$

While we are on the coment of JK's exhaust.....I got my reducer section to do a straight pipe conversion on a 4-5" system. I got a ticket for loud exhaust, and almost incited a riot according to a cop
. I'll let the peice to do the straight pipe conversion for shipping if anyone is interested. It aint purdy but it gets the job done
I'm keeping the rest of the exhaust though, I like it other than the fact it needs to make more noise. The muffler really cuts down on the whine
but I dont need to be drawing anymore attention to myself at times that I generally dont want the fuzz looking in my direction

That reminds me to change my sig
Edited by: ratlover

1 - 20 of 92 Posts