Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the forum and to diesels in general but a lurker since I began to research my Dmax. Great site by the way. I've searched around the sight but really didn't find a good response so I thought I'd ask.

First, I live in Tucson AZ and just went from a 8.1L to a Dmax and will be making a 5 day trip to our northern mountains for a camping trip pulling my 5000lb trailer. Here at home it's been in the 70-80's for the highs and where I'm going for the trip it will be 30-40's for a high. I'll be in more remote country camping (uh... no power for the engine heater)

New trucks in Tucson AZ don't come with a grill cover, gee I wonder why, and I doubt I could find one in time if I had to so should I just take the trip with the mindset like I was home. No changes in fuel or oil. I'll be driving the truck around in the woods while I'm there so it shouldn't be sitting more than just over night.

Thanks in advance,

cmc - chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think as long as you are getting a pretty full load of fuel from a high volume location at your cooler destination you most likely would not have a problem as it would already be blended for the cooler temps. It would also be a good idea to use an additive that may help guard against water. IMO What type.....well there is plenty of discussion here if you do a search on "fuel additives". Plenty of effective products avail. Just don't use anything with alcohol in it.

Enjoy your trip,

Mike

Edited by: HisDMAX

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Order some primrose 409 for cold country. Its a really good additive for the fuel. Get a nictane filter when you get back to keep injectors safe. Switch the oils to synthetic at 10K miles. Get the primrose 405 for warm temps.Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chris your new DMAX will be fine on your trip. The big "D" isn't nearlly as fragile as some might lead you to believe! With temps in the range you're talking about it should run just like it does when you are at home. I'm more concerned about your right hand. You may experience "muscle lock" from signing all of the autographs requested by Ford and Dodge owners when they see your new truck!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------Phil

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hello, Chris and Welcome! I live in NE Ohio, and this Saturday morning it was 13 F. My Duramax started like it was 70. The truck had been setting for 2 days. I use FPPF as an additive.

My brother lives near Marana, South of the Cement plant at Twin Peaks. He has a Toyota, but his next truck WILL be a Dmax!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I got a chance to chat with a few guys I know that run 02' DMaxs around and that do the same type of trips. They haven't had any trouble either.

As for the fillups. The place I'm going it somewhat diesel haven. Mostly ranchers. It seemed that last year I was the only 3/4ton tuck running gas. Everyone else was puttering. Alos there are only three stations in the closest town. Probably sell more diesel than all others combined. I should be ok with that.

again thanks for the advice. Keep a the great message board.

BTW I got 1350miles on mine and average 15MPG mixed driving. I'm really happy with that over my 8.1L. As well I noticed my registration was $400 vs. $690 for my gas truck last year. WOW! I'll take that too.

cheers,

cmcEdited by: CMC-GMC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts