Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have shop time on a engine replacement on a Kodiak 2007? Just wondering?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like take it out and stab a new one right away or change everything over to another engine and install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New engine is ready with all accessories from another Kodiak so like for like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Easy swap 8 hrs is probably fair I'd think. I e done an engine swap in a cat motor grader in less than that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you will find it is at least 30 to 40 hrs. I just had it done and is quite a job. Everything on the front has to be removed from the bumper back to the motor. If removing with turbo on it requires a forktruck to lift from bottom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sorry I don't think It should take 30-40 hrs to pull and engine on a medium duty truck. No way! I've pulled engines out of big machinery and agricultural tractors and got no where near that number. Pulling and tearing down and rebuilding engine and putting back together then stab in truck. I'd would see 30-40 hrs maybe. But I'm not buying it. A skilled diesel tech shouldn't take that long

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we dismantled a RV that was a 5500 and pulling everything apart Really didnt take that long. The hood, and front clip come off really easy to give access to everything. This should be really easy to pull the engine. I think 8hrs is a little short but would expect this job to be done in under 20hrs when the technician does not have to worry about accessories. I just wanted to get an idea of what the "Book" time is that ill be getting quoted.

·
Registered
921 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you pull the cab - 10.5 hours

If you dont pull the cab - 12 hours

Ive done it both ways....id rather not pull the cab as its less **** to put back together but also takes longer. Also its best to use a lift if picking the cab. I didnt have one the second time around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you pull the cab - 10.5 hours

If you dont pull the cab - 12 hours

Ive done it both ways....id rather not pull the cab as its less **** to put back together but also takes longer. Also its best to use a lift if picking the cab. I didnt have one the second time around.

Thanks for putting those numbers out there! I was starting to thing these guys thought I was crazy or didn't know what I was talking about !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, 30-40 hours is a little extreme. I could probably have it down to a bare frame on the concrete before i hit 40 hours.

Once you have the hood off, intercooler/rad combo out of the truck it starts moving quick. Ive put mine in the truck with turbo installed both times...im not sure why that would be an issue as stated before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea idk. I mean I've never done one but I've seen plenty and know it looks pretty easy to get done. I've pulled some engines out of some pain is the but stuff!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, with the truck being so big its hard for me to find a spot to do this myself so I might end up paying, or trading the stock motor for the labor. Wanted to see what it really should take me. Honestly I probably could just do this myself with a few friends over a few weekends if i can round up the shop space.

Reactions: sisupower

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks guys, with the truck being so big its hard for me to find a spot to do this myself so I might end up paying, or trading the stock motor for the labor. Wanted to see what it really should take me. Honestly I probably could just do this myself with a few friends over a few weekends if i can round up the shop space.
Why are you switching the stock motor and what are the miles and the amount of $$$ you are looking for it to bring?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stock motor dropped a piston @225k so im replacing it and the transmission with a lesser mile unit.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you get it done yet?

No talking to a shop Tuesday about the Head studs and headgaskets

Reactions: sisupower

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Talked to a shop in Monroe they said 30hrs minimum and they dont install customer parts so they are out. Still looking around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts