Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well i figured id start my own topic, instead of using Rookiemax's post...anyways some info im lookin for is, how can i tell if my shoxs are bad w/out removing them... like driving the rd....I just got this truck (1st chevy actually) so i wouldnt notice ride deteorating. Even if the shoxs are shot, this things rides like a cadillac...
Truck has 24,500miles on it, and is all stock except for some brands (cant figure it out) 285 tires that got less than 1-2000 miles on them,,,Thanks-Adam

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Get the truck bouncing and when you stop bouncing it should stop after 1.5 bounces. It's pretty hard to make a HD truck bounce though. Chances are your shocks are shot. Everyone who takes them off say that they are shot even with very few miles.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I replaced my shocks after 500 miles - they were very soft and did not flex back very fast.

Go with Bilsteins from http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

2004 GMC 2500HD Ext. Cab, Long Box ,Duramax (LB7)/Allison; GMC bed liner;Air Lift Super Duty air bags; Michelin LT265/75-R16 LTX M/S ;Luverne Running boards; Bilstein shocks; Delvac 1300; Isspro gauges.

Frame mount pre-filter is my next add-on.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Replaced mine @ 4000miles. Not that it rode bad but got some rancho adjustables at a price I couldn't pass up. Even tho new (yeah still have'em in the garage ~ dunno why) they were weak, didn't/slow to rebound and one of the rear had a scrapping noise/feeling. IMO doit & don't look back.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I replaced my rears with Rancho 9000X's, fronts are on backorder. The stock ones I removed have about 15k miles on them and I wouldn't say they are totally shot, but definitely beat. There is next to no rebound dampening and they make some real ugly noises at the outreaches of travel, compressed and extended.

OTOH after installing the 9000X's the rear of the truck has absolutely no bounce on bumpy, frost heaved stretches of road. Could be the placebo effect but I thought it rode much worse before on the same road.

·
Registered
326 Posts
GM installs shocks that are bad right from the get go!

Actually, it seems to be a pretty common theme; people complain about the ride/handling, change the shocks and then wonder why they waited so long. I changed mine before 5K, because I really didn't like the OEM crap. And I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, i wouldhave expected shoxs to be better than that coming from the factory....guess they figure most folk wouldnt notice.... Guess ill be looking into gettin some aftermarket sometime this fall. From what ive read Blistens seem to be my best bet....Thanks for the input guys...
-Adam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts