Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys, Heres another question?

I have read putting new shocks on my new truck will improve my ride. I somtimes feel like I am floating in a lake going down the E-way.I am intrested in buying shocks for my 03 3500 C.C.Dually.

Rancho and Bilsteins seem to be what everyone is using here. I was wondering if any other brand shocks were worth looking at?

I would like to get my OEM shocks changed as soon a possible but $250.00 bones is a bit much this close to Christmas. (if you know what I mean).

Don't get me wrong here, I am not cheap. I just hate spending money to replace somthing new. (only 4955 miles on these)

Any suggestion's

·
Registered
663 Posts
I took the OEM's off my 2500HD at around 5Kmi and put on Bilstiens - there was noticeable improvement. I ran them on my 98 K3500 CC LB as well with great results... I considered it money well spent - no regrets.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I did mine at 400miles...reading these posts are dangerous!

At first I hated the ride with the Bilsteins but really could not compair it to anything....now I love them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I put Bilsteins on after reading the posts on this forum and my rig rides better than new. The best 260.00 i've spent on this truck. It good to know that it will ride this way for a long time without replacement. I had factory Bilsteins on my 98 Z-71 and when i sold it at 130,000k it still rode like new.

Also, I want to thank everyone on this forum. I've been reading the posts here for while and have learned so much from you all. Excellent site.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a bad back .... the addition of Bilsteins along with the other suspension changes I have mad to my 3500 have been more than worth every penny

Jim

·
Registered
444 Posts
Are the Bilsteins a much stiffer ride? It sounds like it is. I am tossed on buying the Bilsteins or the Rancho RS9000X. The RS9000X is a brand new version. It now has 9 customer changeable settings. I can run them soft when unloaded and set them stiff when loaded or towing.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
663 Posts
JohnnyO said:
...Are the Bilsteins a much stiffer ride?

Johnny,
I wouldn't characterize the ride you get with Bilstiens as "stiffer" than with the OEM shocks. I changed out my OEM shocks for Bilstiens at 5k miles because I had experienced a big improvement with them on my 98 K3500 (including towing). The main difference I notice with the Bilstiens is increased stability. If I hit a dip in the highway going 65-70 mph, the truck doesn't keep bouncing after the dip like it did with the OE shocks. Handling is also better in turns and on uneven pavement. IMHO, the Bilstiens provide better overall control and stability than you get with OE shocks and they do it with out making the ride "hard".

·
Registered
403 Posts
what he said

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Bilsteins are a bit stiffer, but more than that, they control the ride much, much, better. Good shocks not only keep the wheels from bouncing all over the place, they also control body motions. The stock shocks allowed the body to pogo stick up and down like a merry-go-round horsey. The Bilsteins, while adding very little stiffness to the ride, will stop that completely. The difference is immediately apparent. My driveway has one of those "rolled curb" entrances. Not very smooth. The very first time I backed the truck out of the driveway after the install, I blessed the Bilsteins. I suspect you will, too. If you're still not sure, buy the Rancho's. You can adjust them to your hearts content. I've used Rancho adjustables before and liked them. But, I find that you are likely to have to make use of the lifetime warranty after of few years.

TC

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've had the same experience with Rancho's that Tsckey speaks of. They just don't seem to last very long. Then again Rancho is part of Tenneco, the maker of the incredible POS shocks that came on my 99 Z71. They also make Monroe. I haven't had the 9000 series but the old 5000 and the RSX didn't even compare to bilstein's in ride IMHO or longevity.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great information
. It's the bouncing when towing on highways with cement slabs that I am looking to get rid of without making a too stiff ride.

From your information on the ride and reliability, the Bilstein's are the way to go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
JohnnyO said:
Thanks everyone for the great information
. It's the bouncing when towing on highways with cement slabs that I am looking to get rid of without making a too stiff ride.

From your information on the ride and reliability, the Bilstein's are the way to go.

Its been only 2 days since I put my Bilsteins on (3 of the OEM shocks were blown). I can't believe the difference!
I didn't realize how much the ride quality had deteriorated over time with the old shocks. The little bumps had become very rough. Now there little again. The ride now is even better than when the truck was new. IMHO you won't regret going with Bilsteins. I look forward to a great ride for years to come.

Kevin

·
Registered
444 Posts
Fireman-

Wow! An '02 and the three of the shocks gone
. Doesn't say much for the quality.

I am sold. Sounds like the ride is really tighter nor firmer. That's what I want.

Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Does eveyone have the yellow oem replacement Bilsteins or do the offer replacement shocks in the H5(nickel) finish? Anyone have part numbers for either?

·
Registered
326 Posts
IMHO, Rancho 9000's are the way to go. You sure can't beat adjusting them to ride/handle exactly like you want them to.

·
Registered
693 Posts
JimWilson said:
IMHO, Rancho 9000's are the way to go. You sure can't beat adjusting them to ride/handle exactly like you want them to.
I have tuned motorcycle suspension for quite a while and can tell you that the bilstiens design is superior to the Rancho. The bilstiens use a shimstack - thin metal shims restrict the oil flow - one set for compression and another set for rebound. Multiple shims are stacked to tune both high and low speed compression and rebound. (for example high speed is hitting a sharp edge and low speed is body roll).

Typically the adjusters on any shock adjust bleed - which only controls low speed dampening (dialing out "wallow"). If you want something that works well in all conditions - the bilstien is it.

jeff

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I am sold on the Bilstein's

Is there a certian model you guys are using or are they a normal replacement type?

·
Registered
693 Posts
PAUL3500 said:
OK, I am sold on the Bilstein's

Is there a certian model you guys are using or are they a normal replacement type?
There is only one model that fits the chevy 2500. They have pretty tight tolerances and take a bit to break in. They will work better than OEM right out of the box, things only get better as you get a little time on them.

jeff

·
Registered
463 Posts
JohnnyO said:
Fireman-

Wow! An '02 and the three of the shocks gone
. Doesn't say much for the quality.

I am sold. Sounds like the ride is really tighter nor firmer. That's what I want.

Thanks.

The ride is not harsh or stiff, if one word can describe it, I think "tight" would be it. I'm not getting the slamming feeling going over things like parking lot speed bumps. My wife even says the ride is great!

Kevin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got my Bilsteins installed. All I can say is WOW! 45K and my shocks were totally worthless. Paul3500, just tell Kennedy you have a C3500 and he'll send you the right shocks for the truck. Best $260 I ever invested in the truck, and that's including a Nicktane filter that I am pretty fond of.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts