Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a dumb question but how do you know when you need new shocks? I have a K2500 which usually rides empty. I don't remember what it felt like new and over the years I'm sure I got use to what I currently have. Recently, after reading about Bilstein shocks on other posts, I seem to feel every bump in the road..BUT with the heavier suspension I'm not sure shocks will help this.. Any other way to test? I do have the original shocks and I just turned 151K miles. Probabbly due for shocks.. but rather not spend the money if I don't have to..

Thanks..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Stand on the bumper and bounce the truck good. When you jump of, does it stop right away? Or does it continue to oscilate? If it keeps bouncing, you need 'em.
I would guess with that mileage you'll need them soon if you don't already.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that but it's a 3/4 ton truck. My 200lbs jumping on the bumper will move the truck but not that much.. and stop right away? So as soon as I jump off it should stop moving?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
With heavier duty shocks you will feel every bump on the road - with 'loose' (worn) shocks you get a smooth ride.

Best time to replace them - when you're in walmart, without your significant other......................;)

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Does your truck ever porpoise on an uneven road - that constant smooth up and down - I'm not sure how to verbalize it, other that the description - it moves like a porpoise (dolfin if you prefer). If it does then the shocks aren't dampening the bouncing of the springs.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Usually the OEM shocks are shot at 20,000. I just changed mine around 24,000 & 2 of them had no absorbing at all, just fell right out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help..

We were in VT this past weekend. Got detoured onto a dirt road in a rain storm. We were sloping and sliding and some what porpoising.. kinda fun.. I didn't know if it was just the road or what.. I told the wife that I needed new shocks.. She just smiled. She usually just says, If you need something then get it.. She know's I'll drive myself nuts making the decision.. A set of 4 Bilsteins isn't that expensive.. Just would like to make sure I'll notice a difference and not just make an upgrade that I won't appreciate.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Having just replaced shocks on a truck with 159,000 miles and a car with 136000 I must say it's about time you do the same.
It's a slow change in ride on the down-slope, but once those puppies are changed you will feel like you're in a new truck.
Yes you will notice that big a difference and you will appreciate the upgrade.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Believe me, you will notice the difference. I changed mine for a set of Bilsteins at around 5k miles. The OEM's are terrible. Just do it and you'll love them.
Cheers,
AussieDMAX

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I would think if you have spongy ride you may need shocks , are any of them leaking, plus with 150k you probably would be wise to change them anyway

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
been waiting for bilsteins before x-mas and still have not seen them
on national back order.good luck there:confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yesterday is not soon enough w/OEM's

I'd not wait--the difference with Bilsteins makes throwing away the OEM shocks a pleasure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts