Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone knows if there is a maximum speed in which you can drive while in 4WD, before damage occurs. And is there a maximum speed in which you can shift into 4WD. I have shifted many times into 4WD at speeds around 55 mph. I have driven down snowy roads in 4WD at 70mph and I have had no problems. There is a slight whining noise at higher speeds but that is expected with the front transfer case engaged. I haven't seen anywhere in the owners manual topics such as this. It just tells you how to hit the button to engage 4WD. A guy I work with has 96 ford truck and his manual says not to shift into gear at speeds higher then 25mph, but he has a manual shifter on the floor. Does that make a difference, or is it just the FORD thang?

Jeff

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't think the new cases are much different, but I have a 1999 manual that says the transfer case can be engaged under 65 mph. It doesn't set a max speed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can shift into 4 high at any speed and drive what ever your piece of heaven will allow. Going into 4 low is a whole nother critter. You have the very slow - in neutral thing to contend with. Top speed in low is usually around 45 mph. Have a nice day!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh my! - If you can do 45mph you DO NOT need to be in 4wd low.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never had a use for 4wd low..... yet!!! But I feel an urge to go out and find a reason.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use mine cruising at 70 and shift whenever I feel the need. This is the beauty of modern T-cases, they aren't nearly as inhibitive as the older ones.

My girlfriend has an old style floor shifter in her Jeep Cherokee. She just leaves it in 4WD for 5 months in the winter time. I will shift mine 10 times a day if I see fit to do so. --SS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts