Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where is the best place to post this.

I just busted the shifter in my 97. I have occasionally had trouble with the brake light switch not releasing park lock. I replaced the switch, but it still does it sometimes. I know it's the switch because if I reach up and tug on the wires I can eventually get it to work. But it is seriously aggravating. So tonight I went to move the truck inside while at work, rushing around out in the cold and trying to get in the garage before I let all the heat out. So of course it chose this time to not release. Caught me on a bad day at a bad time, and I put aside my usually calm and sunny demeanor in favor of a screaming swearing hissy fit which resulted in me tearing the shifter out of park. Something broke, but it's just free now, not working the transmission gears anymore. It will still lock in the park position when I shut the key off. It feels like I might have broken the cable, but I haven't looked at it yet. Can't until after work, hopefully it warms up by midnight:(

So, any ideas? Could it be a cable, or a connection inside the column somewhere? Think it is something I can fix myself or should it go into the shop?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update, just got it inside to thaw out. I took the bottom of the dash partway down and was able to reach in and manipulate the shift linkage. Can't see real good in there, but there is something broken. Not the cable, it's part of the aluminum or white metal pivoting assembly. Wonder how much I need to remove to get that part out. Looks like another trip to the stealership tomorrow. Wish I'd kept that parts truck I had.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
40 mile drive to a dealer, $150 and I'm the proud owner of a brand new shifter range control. Mine was broken into three pieces. At least the cable didn't break.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts