Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this means, EXACTLY. I got in my truck this morning and put it in reverse. I started to back up and then the truck stopped. I looked down at the cluster and saw that the gear indicator was gone and a message was up saying shift range inhibited. so I put it back in park, then shifted back to reverse and it was fine. I just want to know what my truck did or what i did to make it do that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That happened to my truck 11 days ago.....it was towed into the dealership. Was there a big bang before the message. It would reset if I turned off and on the truck but continued to the point that I had to have it towed. Im suppose to pick it up today......"defective torque converter" the service guy said.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no there wasn't any noise. I was looking out the back window and as i hit the gas and then the truck just stopped going in reverse. so i checked to make sure i put it in reverse instead of neutral and that's when i saw the message.

·
Registered
365 Posts
mine did that after they replace the ecu they said its a saftey feature and had to reprogram the ecu.

·
Registered
892 Posts
What it basically means is that for whatever reason the trans cannot attain that range so it drops to neutral. There are a number of things that could cause that: engine or output speed too high, loss of line pressure, faulty signal from the NSBU (always a favorite), or a mechanical problem.

MADIESEL, if your trans was cold I'd say it was probably loss of pressure. Make sure your trans is running at hot full. Your MY05 has the latest NSBU, which rarely has the same problems as previous switches so I do not think it's that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Can anyone tell me what this means, EXACTLY. I got in my truck this morning and put it in reverse. I started to back up and then the truck stopped. I looked down at the cluster and saw that the gear indicator was gone and a message was up saying shift range inhibited. so I put it back in park, then shifted back to reverse and it was fine. I just want to know what my truck did or what i did to make it do that.
Did you just "start it and go"?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, i don't do that start and go thing. I let it warm up. It was running for like 10 mins before i got in. Unless it needs longer? :confuzeld

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no, it happened that one time and it hasn't happened since. Hopefully a hiccup.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Test drove a 2004 d-max that did the same thing. Took it back to the dealer and they said that sometimes they will do that. HA won't be buying a truck there any time soon!!!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah so, My truck did it again. This time it was 45 degrees out and it ran for about 5 mins. before i drove it. F Censored KIN' TRUCK!!! Anyway, third times the charm, it happens once more shes going to the dealer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guarantee it will happen again. In fact, it is going to get worse. I went through the exact same thing. The NSBU switch is the most obvious culprit, but not always. There are at least two possible causes I know of. The NSBU (or "Selector" switch is what my dealer referred to it as), and/or a $16 ignition switch. In my case it was both, and it drove them and me crazy trying to figure it out. If you have a remote start, they may try and blame it on that. But it is NOT that. At least my dealer was honest enough to state that once they disabled the remote starter the problem was still there. Anyway, once the $16 ignition switch was replaced I haven't had the problem since. Good luck!!!:)

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
How long had the truck been sitting without running before this happened? It could be torque converter drainback.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Funny, I'm reading because Friday on my way to a Boy Scout event I had it happen. I towed about 65 miles & all was good, stopped at Tractor supply, shut truck off & went in to buy a bulb for my tractor I was towing. Started it, slid it in drive & nothing but the warning. Up in park & back to drive & it was fine...no codes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts