Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying for Shell 15w-40 in a 55 gallon drum.

Any problems storing this in my barn for a long time?

Can it go 'bad'/seperate...or can moisture effect it?

Price is right so I don't want to pass it up...I'll have oil for 5+years

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does any one have an idea about storing a 55 gallon drum of oil in a pole barn will be bad for the oil after opening?

I figured I'd use it up in about 5 years.

I'd try to seal it up best I can...just don't want it to go south.

·
Registered
994 Posts
On the Shell Rotella forum, the following question was asked:

Q: Does rotella in a 55 gallon drum go bad after a certain period of time? If so how long?

The following answer was supplied by a Shell Petroleum engineer:

A:There are really two questions to answers about age of oil. Your question regards spoilage. The biggest enemy to long-term storage is contamination. Foreign material – principally water and dirt, will spoil oil. Protect even sealed drums from rain, water, and dusty conditions. Sealed drums “breath”, so a drum stored with openings up can take in water that collects on the drumhead. Another enemy is high temperatures. Avoid long-term exposure in excess of 130 degrees F. Presuming correct storage, oil shelf life is in the neighborhood of five years. To minimize risk, I recommend analysis of oil older than three years. Analyze for physical properties and additive metals content, to assure they are in range of new oil properties.

The second question is old oil’s performance specification. Both engine and oil technology are rapidly changing. Oil four years old today could be only API Service Category CG-4 quality. It would not provide lubrication and protection 1998 and later engines require for optimum performance.

Follow this link: http://www.rotella.com/forum.html

Look in the General Discussion forum, around June 3rd, 2002. The reply is on page 6.

For more info about Oil than you or I can handle, the following is a good website:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would at least add a dessicant filter to the small "bung" hole on the drum to keep moisture and dust out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts