Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic bend oil in their Duramax? I've been using Shell Rotella 15W-40 in my diesel pickups for years and have had good luck.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It is not a synthetic blend. It is a group III oil that the US courts have ruled can be described as "synthetic".

Lots of people on this site use it and like it.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
On my 2nd oil change last week, I started using Shell Rotella 15W40. The higher priced synthetic (5W40) is not worth it unless you live in an extremely cold climate. (The "5" in the viscosity rating indicates better flow at cold temperatures.)

While synthetic oil has slightly better lubricating properties at higher temperatures, I do not see reasonable justification paying the higher price, since the reason to change any oil is because it gets dirty. Synthetic oil gets dirty just like regular dino oil. JMO.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've used a lot of both flavors of Rotella in my truck with excellent results. I've also gotten great service out of Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W40. I've usually swapped between 15W40 and 5W40 synthetics seasonally for cold start and cold weather flow. But I've also run the synthetic from -10* Wisconsin to 90* towing in southern Florida and back with no problems. It's a matter of choice, but I usually run more synthetic than dino - I don't mind the few extra dollars for more protection on 7500 to 9000 mile changeouts.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I dont know, changed over to Rotella syn at about 10000miles. Seemed to run slightly quieter.Anyhow I have 50000miles with some 9000lb trailer towing, I'm staying with what seems to work for me. IMO syn oil IS worth the extra $.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just changed my oil from a facotry oil change of Delo and i can hear a little difference at idle( its just barely a noticeable change). It was only 4 dollars a gallon more at my local walmart over the 15w40. It may have been on sale i dont remeber though. so so i spent about 12 dollars more for the synthetic. Thats worth it in my book if it provides better lubrication. Oh and I have never liked Delo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had run Rotella Syn 5W40 since 2nd oil change at 4300 mi, and again at 8000 mi. The truck seemed quieter especially in the morning on a cold start. My MPG went up approximately 0.8 to 1 after switching as well. This could also be just a coincidence.
When I get the truck back from the dealer (long story), I'm probably going to use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 since I usually change it every 3-4k. Since that's what comes in the Dmax from the factory, it's easy to obtain anywhere ($7.23 at wally world)= works for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've heard that 5w40 will improve mileage some over 15w40. I can see that if it is thinner but does it protect as well? What about Amsoil. Any comments?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Synthetic offers more shut down protection with turbo diesels,this is esp important with modded trucks,twins turbos,and big showerheads,where cooling to 300 degrees can take 5 minutes + in the summer.Running the mobil 5w40 synthetic Delvac 1,it can shutdown at 400 dgrees now.Cold starts are much improved,as well. I say go for the synthetic.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Used Rotella Syn for first couple of oil changes until Mobil 1 Truck & SUV came out. Prefer Mobil 1 since I've used it since about 1978 in every vehicle I've had since then. Since I'm no longer living in Alaska, I am less concerned about the low temp starting benefit of syn but am more concerned with the high temp stability of syn oil. Dirty syn is still better than dirty dino; buy and use what you like.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Be very careful... the M1 Truck & SUV currently on the shelves is 5w30 and is NOT rated for Diesel.

Mobil really screwed up on this one.... they discontinued T&SUV and replaced it with T&SUV for gassers.... MID-APRIL they'll start shipping "Mobil 1 TurboDiesel 5w40"

There's already been a couple of guys here that bought T&SUV from WalMart and noticed the bottle says 5w30 after filling it up.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I've heard that 5w40 will improve mileage some over 15w40. I can see that if it is thinner but does it protect as well? What about Amsoil. Any comments?
I use 15w-40 in the summer and change over to 5w-40 in the winter and I see no difference in mileage. But in all fairness, if the fueling stations change fuel blends for winter that may be the reason. I will probably stick with the 15w-40 because I have found Rotella 15w-40 in 2.5 gallon jugs at TSC and it works out to about a buck 79 a quart. That's purty good considering the quart bottles are over $2.20.
JP

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hot & cold

I used AMSOIL 15W-40 year round until this winter. Switched over to Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 because of all the buzz at Bobstheoilguy site. I understand the concept of cold weather benefits, so I tried it in my Duramax and wife's E300 Turbo Diesel. Can't say I can detect any difference in the engine, but I am sure it is good. Next oil change I will switch back to 15W-40. Question I have to overcome is whether the synthetic oil in 15W-40 is worth the price when I change oil like my Dad did. Just a side note, I also changed to Synthetic ATF and I definitely noticed the difference in cold weather. Quite a difference in shifting.

LOL

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
If you are changing at 3-5k intervals, there is little advantage of synthetic under "normal" usage. It could be argued that if you are following the OLM/DIC recommendations, you're fine with conventional.

For heavy towing, the resistance to coking can help the turbo bearings and piston cooling passages last, and for colder climates, the cold-flow characteristics are good.

I use it for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I will probably stick with the 15w-40 because I have found Rotella 15w-40 in 2.5 gallon jugs at TSC and it works out to about a buck 79 a quart. JP
It's too bad they don't offer the synthetic Rotella in the 2.5 gallon jugs. I noticed when I was in TSC last week that they had to different qualities of synthetic Rotella on the shelf in 1 gallon jugs. IIRC, some were CH-4 and some were CI-4+. I wouldn't have noticed except the jugs were side by side and slightly different. I hope to change out the break-in oil this weekend and will go with the regular 15w-40 Rotella.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I often tow heavy and prefer synthetic for it's greater protection. Cold isn't a problem here in So. Cal. but heat sure can be. I am currently running Mobil truck & SUV. I have also used Shell Rotella Syn. with good results. Funny but dino oils gives me less oil pressure when it's hot and I am towing even though it is thicker. That tells me synthetic is the way to go.

I just used the last of my Mobil and have been searching for more. Hope it shows up soon!

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
It's too bad they don't offer the synthetic Rotella in the 2.5 gallon jugs.
I hear ya, especially if the price was reduced like they did with the Rotella dino oil.
JP

·
Registered
352 Posts
Shell Rotella Synthetic

At my third oil change I used the Rotella replacing Castrol. After 5500 miles of towing and 500 miles of not towing I noticed that the truck was down 2 quarts.
Using Castrol non syn. 6000 mile of towing and normal driving the truck used no oil at all. I am going back to the Castrol for diesel oil.

Big Max

·
Registered
361 Posts
Switched to Rotsmella synthetic yesterday. Fuel economy went up 1 mpg. I've used Delvac1 or Truck & SUV since the '04 was new. 70k on it now. I burned Rotsmella Synthetic in my '02 and there was no increase in fuel economy. Never had an oil consumption issue with or witout shell. Can't see a brand related issue there. I think I will try Amsoil next. I like the idea of a 15-40 synthetic Vs the 5-40.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I just did my first oil change lask week at 4,322 miles on the odometer and installed Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40. I also replaced the Allison spin-on filter, lubed front suspension & steering linkage and replaced front and rear axle lube as well as transfer case with synthetic.

I'm about to take a 250 mile trip today, so I'll be able to check mileage with the new oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts