Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guys that do all their fluid maintenance themselves, I assume that you do not use the GM branded fluids from the dealer in all cases. Would you be kind enough to list what brand and weight(if applicable)you put in your truck?

1: Engine Oil

2: Automatic Transmission

3: Manual Transmission- (ZF-6)

4: Front Axle

5: Rear Axle

Before anybody yells use the seach button, I did use it and there was no compiled list like this:p:

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tom, If you go to the AMSOIL website they list their equivelant lubricants to what any car manufacture wants by vehicle If you look at my sig ,yes I am a AMSOIL Dealer but no pressure in using my product just one diesel truck owner helping out another Mike

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just wondering if anybody here just walks into a Napa, Pep Boys or whatnot and grabs off the shelf stuff. And if they do what are they buying.

I can search and find instances of what people use for certain fluids, but not a complete fluid list that an individual person uses for his/her truck.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
you can use whatever oil you want as long as it is the right API rating for your engine.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Tom, If you go to the AMSOIL website they list their equivelant lubricants to what any car manufacture wants by vehicle If you look at my sig ,yes I am a AMSOIL Dealer but no pressure in using my product just one diesel truck owner helping out another Mike
Which oil do you use in your Duramax?

·
Registered
581 Posts
To add to this. What can you use for the power steering and brake fluid?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To add to this. What can you use for the power steering and brake fluid?
We could add those but this thread really isn't going in the direction I wanted it to.):h ):h ):h

·
Registered
363 Posts
Engine: Shell Rotella T 15w40 (Walmart)

Auto Trans: Castrol Dexron III (any auto part store)

Rear Axle: GM 75w140 gear oil (GM dealer)
you could use any brand(Mobil1, Castrol etc) as long as it meets the required API spec

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I use mobil delvac 15-40 engine oil.(wal-mart) Valvoline full synthetic in front and rear ends,75-90weight.

·
Registered
272 Posts
1. Engine Oil - Any good 15W-40 HD Diesel oil like Delvac, Delo, Rotella, etc

2. Auto Tranny GM & Allison - Dexron 3 ATF mineral or synthetic, or TranSynd

3. ZF - very limited off the shelf lubes, TranSynd or its equivalents and nothing else

4. Diff front - any good synthetic 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil

5. Diff rear - any good synthetic 75W-90 or 75W-140 GL-5 gear oil

*TranSynd available at Allison tranny service centers
http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts