Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the waterpump on my truck and after I got everything back together I started it up and the engine started to shake so I shut it of. After inspecting the balancer I found that only the bolt came loose so I took it off to check it all over, I found part of the pin in the slot on the balancer. Tried to drill it out but dont want to mess up the crankshaft itself. So I ordered a Empire Crank Pin kit from XDP just i dont know if its worth it or if I should go with a factor crank pin? I am pressed for time so any good ideas is much appreciated?

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,580 Posts
You need the factory pin for the alignment to be correct, the pin is for alignment purposes only, the bolt sandwiches it all together. What did you torque the bolt to, some say in the range of 275 lb ft, SoCal has it listed as.

Crankshaft Balancer Bolt
1st Step 74 lb ft

2nd Step 105 degrees

SoCal Diesel - LLY Duramax Torque Specs

Let me know when your done with XDP alignment tool/kit as I may be interested in purchasing it after your done...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What Other Pins Are There And How Do I Check them?

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,580 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would I remove the pin from the crank?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the reason the pin broke was because I didn't get the balancer bolt tight enough. And if the other pins were broke wouldn't the engine not start?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You don't need a new pin. When i did water pump on my lbz i did the same thing. I put mine together using a allen wrench. I guess gm knew this would happen and the crank has a reset milled in to the crank.

If you look at the picture you can see it. I was able to line everything up using a allen wrench just make sure it small enough to fit into the groove milled into the crank. Also make sure to mark the depth on allen wrench so you know it dropped into the milled spot on crank. Then you can remove allen wrench don't let the balancer move after you line it up. Then was able to tighten it down with no problems. I have about 20k miles since it happen with no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts