Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have had my 6.5 about four months now, and previous owner claimed that truck had recent warranty replacent injection pump. within the last 1.5 months i have had a few random incidents. 1st the truck stalled out on 3 separate occasions and would not restart (no sound of fuel pump operation for about 5 minutes until i pulled the fuel pump relay and cooled it in my hands). the first 2 times were in stop and go with no overheating. the third was after trailering on the bypass during that incident the low coolant light came on and went off several times, but engine is not low on coolant or over heating. then last week on two separate ocasions, after driving long backroads, i had the engine start to stutter and loose power, all would return to normal after cooling down. i repaced the fuel pump relay and problem has not yet reoccured. i'm new to chevy diesels and am wondering if this is the infamous PMD(FSD) module that is possibly causing these problems and does any one know if the dealer replaces that with the injection pump when under warranty?Edited by: rusty75

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
If it's still under warranty they will probably replace the whole thing and send the core back to stanadyne as a unit.

I have mine remote mounted. The trucks seemed to have a better throttle response after the 42" wire harness was installed. I think it has something to do with the FSD being an eletonic throttle cable of sorts, that with extra resistance opens more. Red wireloom

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
With only 52k miles on it, you can get GM to fix it under warrantee. If it is the FSD, it is supposed to be covered in the 120k warrantee.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They replace the fsd with the ip when they do a warranty on the ip. Just had mine done last week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a way to tell for sure. i don't have a code reader, or list of codes. if there are even any stored. my check engine light is not on.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they voided the warranty for using the extension. all mine expired 100,000 ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it has been at the chevy dealer for three weeks now. first they said it was the injector pump, but then said they never said anything about the ip that it was the pcm and pulled the following codes 16,17,236,251,370,1641. the first PCM they installed was also bad. the second good. now they are saying left hand injectors by the exhaust are leaking at the return ports (design flaw- made out of plastic next to hot exhaust) anyhow the mechanic claims it will suck in air like a vacuum leak on your intake causing stalling hard starting and sputtering. anyhow we will find out tommorrow if there additional $$$$ from my pocket solve the problem. incidently he claim that he has never seen a stock mounted PMD fail. is this a GM brainwashing tactic any thoughts on this quantum?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
rusty75 said:
the mechanic claims it will suck in air like a vacuum leak
Ahem, OK look at it this way, the return line out of your pump goes into a steel line, which the injectors return also feeds into, which all runs back to the tank. now how in the heck do they explain air being sucked in there, and even if somehow it was, WHO CARES??? its just going back to the tank anyway! And if he says he's never seen a PMD fail while mounted on the pump (even as much of a fan of that as I am) he's obviously blind and has no business working on your truck. And if the truck is still under warranty, why are you worried about $$$???Edited by: Texas Diesel Guy

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Suck air?
More likly to dump fuel all over the hot exhaust.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Rusty,

Your dealer's mechanic is smoking left hand twist cigarettes, if IP/PMDs never fail, why the extended policy in the 1st place Hmmm makes ya wonder, don't let them try to snake out it. A bad PMD/FSD does not set a code if any codes are seen they are sympathetic codes basically as a result of no fuel thru IP.

Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it is leaking there on that left side now. i told them that is was not when i took it in. they say it was a problem with the computer not suppling fuel to those injectors. but the also say only my ip is still under warranty 1996 53000m

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I can't see the IP not suppling fuel to only one side. It's
illogical. It's damn near impossible to replace those leftside return lines without removing the turbo/exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Awww, c'mon QM, all you have to do is take the two bolts out of the heat shield and slide it out of the way (although it can take some persuasion to get out), I changed both sides on mine just this weekend and it took me about 15 min.

rusty75 said:
they say it was a problem with the computer not suppling fuel to those injectors
I dont know man, is there any other dealer nearby you can deal with? A leaky return line on the injector is not only a common problem that is very easily remedied, but it doesnt mean anything other than that you need to replace the return lines. It's sadly very common for dealers, any dealer to be lost when someone comes in with a problematic diesel, but I've never seen any that sounded as incompetent and yet somehow, convincing as yours! Good luck, and get your truck somewhere else fast!Edited by: Texas Diesel Guy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes they are removing the exhaust manifold and can you believe the forgot to order a gasket. this just might be my first and last chevy

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Gasket for what? The exhaust manifold doesn't use one.

I agree with everyone else here, take it to a different dealer.

Are you anywhere near Sandersville? If so, call the Diesel Depot. (800-553-8192)
They can probably tell you where a good dealer is. They mostly deal with 6.5's.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Gasket for what is right.

TDG I still have abrasions on my meathooks form trying that.
but, I just pushed the sheild toward the exhaust, didn't try to pull it out.Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I assure you, there is no need to remove the turbo or manifold to change those silly return lines and I can also assure you that has nothing to do with your problem. I've not only changed the lines, but several sets of injectors w/out pulling the turbo or manifolds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts