Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD LB7
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an issue with my 03 LB7.
Replaced injectors 2500 miles ago. Trucks been running great until I hooked onto the two car enclosed trailer and drove 30 miles north to race. On the return trip I looked back and could no longer see the trailer or any vehicles behind me. I slowed down and got off on the next exit to continue via backroads. Knowing I had a half tank I knew I’d make it the last 15 miles easily. Two turns later while accelerating I got a fuel knock and the amount of smoke doubled (35 mph at this point) I looked down and I was at 1/4 tank :O I continued to try to limp it home but got within 5 miles and the truck died (fuel gauge read E) anyone else have any ideas what this could be? Turbo is in sound condition, new high pressure fuel lines with injectors, no fuel in crankcase, no scanner to read balance rates, only code was for some kinda heater (p0540 If I remember right) I’ll be standing by before tearing back into the engine to see what other opinions I get.

·
Administrator
21,845 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

Where did you source your Injectors?
Find a scanner that can read the live data like balance rates. Your local auto parts stores usually have capable scanners and can read the data and codes for you or loan the tool to you..
You need to look at Desired vs. Actual fuel pressures, balance rates.

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD LB7
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sourced them through a local shop owned by a great friend of mine who bought them off merchant automotive if I’m not mistaken. (This is who he gets 90% of his injectors from) already tore the truck down so I can’t get balance rates but if im not mistake if an injector is sticking open typically you’d find fuel in the oil correct? There’s no fuel in the oil but the oil does however smell very burnt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.