Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well so far I have the axle linked, below are pics. I have used all 3/8 Steel (except 3x3X1/4 tubing for link mounts) and set the 3x3x1/4 tubes perpendicular to the old spring pad perches. I have braced all that I "think" is necessary. Things that I have left to do to the axle:

1. Install King Pins ( I got kingpins upper and lower for both sides, hub inner and outer seal, inner axle seals, pinion nut and seal, and spindle bearings and seals for 100 bucks on ebay "KILLER DEAL" when the cheapest I could find kingpins alone was 100 bucks)

2. Install Gears (4.56)

3. Sandblast and powder coat or paint.

I have talked to a few people and they say the johnny joints squeak so instead of those I am going to go with a polyurathane b/c flex is not an issue it will be 95% On-Road conditions. I found the bushings on ebay for about 130 bucks to do everything. All I will have to do is get more free steel 1.5 DOM tubing for them to fit in. Oh and the slip yoke; my neigher has access to a CNC machine and he seys he can CNC it out for just the cost of the bar stock so I will have practically nothing in it besides the 1310 yoke.

As far as $ heres what I got so far:
1979 Ford Dana 60 HP Front axle: 800
Lock-outs (warn): 75
King Pins and misc. Seals: 100
Wheel studs: 30
U-Joints: 50
All associated metal: FREE
Slip Yoke Elminator 100
------------------------------------------
Total 1155

I have found a set (4) of good used Firestone air bags off of a tractor-tailer's Trailer (lol) for 300 bucks. Im going to go check them out and see if I can use them.

I can't find the cable to hook my camara to my computer so I will post pics later today.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres some pics: Any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Looks like you got a good start. Nice weld job. Looks like the SFA may be as cheap as going with a ifs lift. How big are ya going?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This Big: :muahaha:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Man, you're lucky. You must not have very strict lift laws in your state!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
MAX Attitude;1589011; said:
Man, you're lucky. You must not have very strict lift laws in your state!
36" on the bumpers and 54" on the headlights (im barely legal now), the adjustable hide hight will get me right under that. Thats the whole point of air bags. I can beat the lift law this way.

Imagine gettin pulled over and as you pull off to the side of the road psssssssssst, legal. :muahaha:

Once I get this done I hope to get some video of that, lol.

Im going to set it up to where when aired out im right below legal. F*** lift laws.

·
Registered
179 Posts
with as much street driving as i think you'll be doing, are you sure you want to 4 link it? a 3 link tends to render much better streetability. everybody loves pics, keep em coming.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
rustynuts;1589259; said:
with as much street driving as i think you'll be doing, are you sure you want to 4 link it? a 3 link tends to render much better streetability. everybody loves pics, keep em coming.
I just wonder about all the torque and just haveing one trailering bar on top b/c I love layin black marks!

As for the front that might be ok, but I wanna keep my truck as close to Keldermans as possible. I just like the fact on mine everything is welded and I don't have to worry about bolts backing off.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
last 2:

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
any progress?

·
Registered