Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 chevy diesel allison 3500 dually with a 3.73 rear. I had one carrier bearing go bad, found it when I changed the oil on the rear. Found a lot of sparkley stuff in the oil. I have set up rears before and need to know the specs. for this one. Can some one get me some numbers here. I removed all of the bearings in the rear and replaces all of them. Pinion looks good, need the specs for ring gear to pinion engaument and back lash.
Thanks for your help......

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
Match your gear wear pattern. By just changing bearings, nothing should change much. Backlash should be around .005 to .007 when new so up to .010 should be fine used. With new bearings, make sure you have adequate preload on them. Pinion bearing preload is usually around 35 inch pounds.;)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I am in the middle of changing my diff fluid when... BAM! lots of shinny stuff ended up on the plug. The longest is about 3/4inch. There were also 3-4 1/8" pieces. I never set up a rear end before but I have changed a whole chunk on a 91toyota with a 5.29detroit locker in it.
What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
Remove the axle shafts, mark the carrier caps, Right and Left and which side is up. Remove carrier caps. Mark where adjuster sleeves are, (paint stick works well) loosen one adjuster cap, the one on the back side of ring gear. Don't move other adjuster, as it sets the backlash. Remove carrier and inspect bearings, internals of gov loc. If you don't find where the pieces came from, remove pinion. If you don't have to remove pinion, make sure to stick a long magnet down the casting opening to check for more metal shavings. Let us know what you find.:grd:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I called randys ring and pinion. Since they have a lifetime warrenty I will just purchase the ring/pinion and the installation kit. I will let the forum know when I take everything apart. -Chase

1 - 5 of 5 Posts