Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my Juice/Attitude combo from Kennedy on Saturday on an 01 Chevy D/A CCSB. I drove it around all day on level 2 with no problems. Then on Sunday I took my 8000# boat to test out the towing. When I was coming back from the lake (level 1), there were 2 very steep hills about 1/2 mile long each. On the way up, it pulled great, my EGT never got over 1200 and boost never over 23, but the Service Engine Soon light came on twice (once on each hill) for about 1 minute and went back off. My truck is completely stock other than the Juice, and I'm running 33" BFGs. Does anybody know what could be causing my SES light to come on?

Thanks

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the truck used about 4 months ago. Since I haven't done anything to it, it probably has the stock airbox. I did have the dealer replace a sensor in the transmission which caused the SES light to come on when I first bought it. I don't know if they would've reflashed it then.

So I guess I'll have to take the Juice and Attitude back out to get it reflashed.

Should I just get an aftermarket airbox, or will the modification to my stock one accomplish the same thing?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I'd let them do their thing first. You may have grief, so if you do,it may be easiest to pay them to do ECM and TCM updates. Ask them to print the update run so you can see what they loaded.

You can do the box yourself if they won't do it for you.

My box is the end result on that web page, and I just run a UNI element at this time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you don't think the 1200 EGT or the 23 PSI of boost had anything to do with the SES light coming on?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
No. This was a known problem with the original airbox design. Power modules tend to exploit this problem. MAF out of range and a "perceived" improper boost reading are the result.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where can I find a copy of this service bulletin so that I can take it to the dealership and they don't try to blow me off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
John:

I also get an occasional SES light when towing only on my 03 cal truck. As you know I have taken the cat off and installe the Juice/Attitude.

Is the problem due to the lack of enough air flow into the air box and that swiss cheezing it will take care of the problem?

I have opened up the side of the air box but haven't towed with the truck since I did that.

Denny

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Inspector said:
John:

I also get an occasional SES light when towing only on my 03 cal truck. As you know I have taken the cat off and installe the Juice/Attitude.

Is the problem due to the lack of enough air flow into the air box and that swiss cheezing it will take care of the problem?

I have opened up the side of the air box but haven't towed with the truck since I did that.

Denny

Hard to say w/o knowing what the code is. I haven't heard of any other codes from removing the cat, but you never know. This could affect the EGR flow or the MAF readings. Doubt it's anything serious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts