Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,my 2017 3500 has the service Stabilitrak light on and I bought the blue driver blue tooth scanner and had the following codes,U0415 and C0710 which is the steering position sensor. I have looked on here and several other sites and it seems pretty common on the 2008-14 truck, but not so much on this generation. The gm part is reasonably priced but looks like a lot of work, not to mention tearing into the dash . Any suggestions or guidance on how to proceed from here would be welcome. I just don’t want to replace it and not be the problem. I was hoping it wa going to be a wheel speed sensor, but the codes don’t show up for them? Thanks

· Registered
22 Posts
If you've recently had front end work done or an alignment I would try the learn procedure per GM steps. Steering wheel position sensor if your not familiar with column removal and reinstall and can perform the centering procedure needed for the DTC to run properly and pass I would not recommend. If your mechanically inclined ill be happy to help with questions once you get going. But like i mentioned if you get replaced until the centering is performed the dtc will not go away.

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've recently had front end work done or an alignment I would try the learn procedure per GM steps. Steering wheel position sensor if your not familiar with column removal and reinstall and can perform the centering procedure needed for the DTC to run properly and pass I would not recommend. If your mechanically inclined ill be happy to help with questions once you get going. But like i mentioned if you get replaced until the centering is performed the dtc will not go away.
Thanks, I assumed that if the front tires were straight and you taped the steering wheel in place, it should be good to go? By the way way, no front end work has been done. Is the relearn procedure something I can try anyway.? Without a tech 2 or 3?

· Registered
22 Posts
You will need a scan tool capable of the procedure gm uses the MDI2 now tech 2 expired in 2013 then it was MDI1 now its MDI2. There is a leeway off 0 that the sensor can be before it has to be learned gm does not give us that info. But it cant be much I'm sure at full one direction is +\-740 degrees if i remember right. Scan tool could also tell you when your straight ahead what the reading is.

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my part came in ( steering angle sensor) . I have searched everywhere for a video or tutorial on how to replace the part but can’t find anything. I am sure it is similar to the 08-14 which there are plenty of videos of. Does anyone have any information on how to do it? I know the basics, keep steering wheel straight disconnect steering shaft etc.

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no centering pin, it looks different than the ones in the 08-14 videos that’s why I’m begging for guidance before I take it apart.

· Registered
22 Posts
Once column is out you remove the metal bracket it has three torx screws holding it. Then you gently pry the sensor retainer its a plastic cap off, then slide the sensor out. When you slide the new sensor in make sure its the exact same orientation front/back as well as the flat inner part in relation to that peg on top as the old sensor. Then reverse order for assembly.
Elbow Font Drawing Art Line art

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got the new steering angle sensor in. Still have the service Stabilitrak message,now to find someone to do a relearn. Thanks mwine.

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I had a guy with a Snap-on Solus scan try the relearn and it said all parameters haven’t been met to do the relearn. In another screen it shows the angle sensor giving feedback but it won’t do the relearn! Very frustrating.

· Registered
22 Posts
Well that sucks, have any buddy GM techs? I only know the GM scan tool. I can tell you using it you have to do steering wheel angle sensor reset and learn if equipped then ebcm learn.

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, gonna have to make an appointment with Mr. Goodwrench. This truck has been one thing after another. But now it’s out of warranty so it’s on me!

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My guy with the Snap-on scanner borrowed a Cornwell blue tooth scanner and in 3 minutes he had it relearned and the service Stabilitrak light was off!

Reactions: mwine and OkDually
1 - 17 of 17 Posts