Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started up my truck this morning (2004 GMC 2500HD LB7) and the "service brakes" warning came up on the display and the ABS and Brake indicator lights were lit up. I checked the brake fluid level and it was fine. I checked my brake pads the last time I rotated my tires and they had plenty of life left. I drove it down the road a few miles and all the lights and warnings turned off. Has anybody else experienced a similar problem or have any idea what it could be? I plan to take it to the dealer to have it checked out, but I don't want them to look at me like I'm on crack and tell me nothing's wrong.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
It could be one of 3 different things from what I've seen. 1. It could be a software glitch in the EBCM which the dealer can reflash and fix it. 2. It could be a faulty speed sensor. 3. It could be the rear speed sensor damaged by hitting the reluctor gear, believe me you don't want it to be number 3.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With my luck it'll probably end up being number 3. Is that repair covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Advance SI Resolution - Antilock Brake System (ABS) Light On, Service Brake System Message on Driver Information Center (DIC) (Reprogram Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) #04-05-25-005A - (Sep 28, 2004)
Antilock Brake System (ABS) Light On, Service Brake System Message on Driver Information Center (DIC) (Reprogram Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM))
2003-2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 HD Series Pickups

2003-2005 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 HD Series Pickups

with Identification 2-inch Body Raise, HD Model (RPO HVY)

This bulletin is being revised to add correction information and additional model years. Please discard Advanced Service Information Bulletin Number 04-05-25-005 (Section 05 -- Brakes).

DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS

Reprogram the EBCM with TIS version 7.5 Released July 26,2004 or newer.
DO NOT replace the EBCM.

Condition
Some customers may comment that the ABS light, Service Brake System message comes on intermittently during initial start-up. The condition does not cause a DTC to be stored permanently.

Cause
The cause may be a timing issue related to the cranking/starting of the vehicles. It appears that the condition is more likely to occur on vehicles with diesel engines, though it can occur on vehicles with gasoline engines as well.

Correction
Reprogram the EBCM with TIS software version 7.5, released July 26,2004 or newer. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) (SI Document ID #1451930).

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

H2508*
Module, Electronic Brake Control Module - Reprogram
0.4 hr

*This labor operation number is for bulletin use ONLY.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1551943
2004 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
With my luck it'll probably end up being number 3. Is that repair covered under warranty?
Your's sounds like the reflash problem. All 3 should be covered by the 36k warranty. If you are over 36k then 1&2 aren't real expensive. Nr. 3 is a whole transfer case expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts