Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this conversion on a 6.2 ?

Is there a cheap way to do it, or do you have to buy a kit?

What about just doing the alternator set of pulleys, anyway?

What's out there?

I added another groove to the water pump and crank pulley, and put a two groove pulley on the alternator, so it is run with two belts, but still it needs belts once a year (which is a lot better than before)

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
We do know this, you can swap all of the engine accessories, the intake and exhaust manifolds, cylinder heads and motor mounts between the 6.2 and the 6.5 engines.

The 6.5L motor is essentially a bored 6.2L with a serpentine belt system (amongst other improvements)so it looks like you might be able to hit a junk yard and buy what you need cheap.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You should be able to just change all the pulleys if you can find the right sizes but you will have to replace the water pump. The serpentine belt runs the water pump on the back side of the belt so it turns in the opposite direction. You would also need the spring tensioner and maybe the mounting bracket for it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Check with Jamie or Benny at The Diesel Depot (800-553-8192), I think they can provide all the necessary parts. It will not be an actual kit but rather a complete set of used/take off parts. I was going to do this but cost was more than I was willing to pay. I have had great success by using only OEM belts and keeping an eye on them. 40-50K miles per set has been my experience with OEM belts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been contemplating doing this myself but I don't know if my Turbo (Banks) will work with the serpentine setup. I intend on going to the Avant boys to get whatever I need.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The 6.2 came with serpentine belt system on 88 new style (c/k ) trucks. Location of accessories mounted on front of motor was different from earlier 6.2s . (I've got both)

Northeast Diesel gettogether

www.dieselgettogether.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts