Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you get the belt squeal, the common place to start investigating for probable cause is the belt tensioner pulley.

Be aware however that the Idler pulley and ESPECIALLY the vacuum pulley can cause belt squeal as well.

It so happened that my brother has been having this problem off and on for 3 months now, and the belt was showing signs of wear. We replaced the belt, then started the engine to check the condition of the belt tensioner.

I noticed there was some belt residue on the fan pulley, and on the vacuum pump but thought nothing more of it until today.

At 200,000 his vacuum pump died, which took out the belt and the idler pulley. The vacuum pump bearing went out, the belt snapped and from there the damage focused on the idler pulley.

This required a tow to the dealer to get repaired.

So next time you change your serpentine belt (do it once a year AND carry a spare in the truck for emergencies) Please Please rotate each pulley and check for play and or binding when spinning by hand. If the bearing is slightly 'grabby' chances are it is on it's way out.

Just an FYI to keep it from happening to you.

-J

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Good heads up! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Been there done that....twice...idler pulley each time...second time i changed out the alternator because as juice pointed out it was showing signs of wear....one question though...not all trucks have a vaccume pump do they? i see where it is mentioned on the serpentine belt diagram...but i don't have it...my understanding was that it used the power steering pump...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts