Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously in desperate need of help. I am in the middle of installing an aftermarket sound system in my friends 03 1500 Ext. Cab. and I am in a dillemma. The problem I have is with the 2 Phoenix Gold Amps he has and how I cannot seem to get them to mount. The monoblock is the Xenon 600 series and is huge and heavy. I have been awake for the past 36+ hours doing this thing and everything went smoothly until mounting the amps. The only place I can see for a big amp in an Ext. Cab is behind the rear seat's backrest. I have drilled several holes in the floorpan, the cab's back wall, I've custom made a bracket to attach it to the wall somehow, and I'm going crazy. Yes I know, I'm stupid, but I don't know what to do, and I'm ready to weld these damn brackets into the floor. Anyone want to point me in the right direction. (I am going to catch up on some sleep for the time being ;) )

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
so, youre not able to attach the bracket tothe floor?

most amps are made to sit horizontally, instead of vertically, due to overheating probs

i think the floor is the bes place, underneath the ext cab seat.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, youre not able to attach the bracket tothe floor?

most amps are made to sit horizontally, instead of vertically, due to overheating probs

i think the floor is the bes place, underneath the ext cab seat.
Problem there is, the sub boxes take up all the space beneath the rear seat. I don't know what to do...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Get some self tapping metal screws and screw it to the back of the cab, behind the backrest.

·
Registered
565 Posts
cut you some wood out to fit behind the seat and behind the carpet. attach it (wood panel) to the cab wall drop the factory carpet over it and then screw the amps to the wood back. if you want to get real radical run the power wire behind and cut slots to feed each amp and bore the holes out for the simplest put the connections at the floor and tuck the wire under the carpeting and connect not much exposed that way.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up using an epoxy to bond the brackets I made for the amps to the rear wall. Then the seat fit right on with a few inches of clearance. Should be okay.

Oh, BTW, does it make sense that after the battery died the truck is not idling low and stalls out at times? I think it may the ECU that has to reset itself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dont understnad why cant you screw the amps directly to the rear wall??

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we tried using self tapping screws, and the amps, being so damn heavy, weren't supported enough. We also tried drilling holes and then planned to use toggle bolts or just a nut and bolt, but you can't really get between the bed and cab with a wrench and the toggle bolts weren't exactly strong.

Anyway, that problem is all set. The new issue is the truck's idling. Now, after the battery died and we jumped it, the truck idles at like 400 RPM and it stalls eventually. It's really not running right and I cannot figure it out. Could it be that the ECU needs to reflash itself after the battery died?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts