Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
06' LBZ CCSB / 2021 3500HD CCLB
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my LBZ has pretty much become the dog walker(it is my back up tow rig too tho). I take them out daily on an old not maintained highway/backroad. We already got 1 1/2' of snow and Im the only one driving on this "road". Had the fresh snow packed down decent starting on the edges then started doing towards the middle day by day then we gpt another almost foot. Obviously the truck isnt built for 4x4ing. But with my stidded M55's and Cognito 4" I always try as long as I can in the winter until its not worth the risk. I dont want to get stuck and pay a ridiculous amount for a tow. So eventualy I stop going to this spot until the snow melts down to near ground again every year. Anyway. Found an 09' jeep for around 15k with 35's that I could grab and call the new dog walker. Should I consider it for real or consider buying a winch for the LBZ and not have to worry so mich about getting stuck in the snow? If I was to get a winch instead how could I go about mounting it without buying a winch bumper too?

Thoughts, opinions amd suggestions all welcome...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick. To the point and true enough brother. But damn. CANADA has always got screwed and now more than ever. $1400 for the fabfour winch mount (cheapest Ive found sources locally) then about $1100 + tax for a decent winch. So $2500 + a little for time labor and a few extra here n there im sure. Ir uy a jeep i can beat up and not care. My LBZ needs rockers and a cab corner but trying to justify that too. The thing is my baby lol but runs strong engine n trans with the (OG) idaho rob tune.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
572 Posts
Sounds like you really like your truck and have kind of made up your mind to keeping her. As a fabricator myself and many different winch installations from custom bumpers to simple winch mounts, you may consider a custom front receiver that ties into the front frame horns. This would provide options in the event you needed to yank yourself out from the rear or the front. The biggest expense would be the quality and correct size power cable and connections. I’m from the desert so not too inclined to snow recovery, however you would need solid anchors and plenty of options of straps, chains not to mention a snatch block and shovel. Winching comes with hazards so familiarize yourself with the process especially if your alone out there.
Some thick wall 4” angle iron cross member tied into the frame, small pieces of plate(gussets), and a section of 2” receiver and you have your materiel list.
for power cable,you could utilize used welding lead but keep track of your polarity. Another option would be a quality jumper cable set. I have found these on sale for under 100 bucks. Use fine Strand copper with good quality insulation. The male/female connectors can be found online.
The winch mount itself could also be made utilizing common stock. The section that fits into the receiver needs to be much thicker than a trailer hitch. I use 2”solid square bar because you don’t always have the option to pull straight on. The vector forces when pulling from severe angles would bend 1/4” wall tubing if your really stuck. A snatch block shines and can win the day by changing direction for a straighter pull not to mention the mechanical advantage it provides by doubling your winch rating and reducing the load on the winch.

I would also add, if you decide to add a front receiver, don’t weld it to the frame horns directly.
Bolt it on using grade 8 hardware. The clips/connection points can be welded to the frame. Google snow plows for your rig and look to see how they connect to the frame to spawn ideas. A front receiver will be much simpler to design.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great informative advice again firestopper. Thanks for that suggestion too Roswell. I would consider chains but I wouldn't rely solely on them. I just ordered a cheaper Westin winch mount that will save time trying to make somthing and spending probly juat as much. So Ill wait for it to arrive, then figure put the biggest winch I can fit in it. I have my eye on a 17500lbs winch if it will fit. If not Ill have to go with the 13500lbs one.

Reactions: firestopper

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still waiting for shipment of my mount before ordering a winch. I was somewhat decided on this one IF it would fit based mostly on the 17500 rating and the review bragging it up. It isnt as well known brand as others but this place Id be buying it from has the best warranty in the business around these parts and stand behind everything they sell basically no questions asked. Ive never been unhappy leaving after bringing an issue to them. BUT...... I started rethinking. Should I be going with a more well known brand with a lesser rated winch? In which case I'm refering to this one... which would have a one year bring it in and get a new one warranty. Im not too worried about the warranty and what not. But whats the consensus on the first option vs the big brand name?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh for sure. I've always had snatch blocks for the winch qhen i had my sidexside and quad.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That 17500 just sounds beastly. With the extra 5000+ lbs rating

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So another question now. Should I just wire directly to one of the batteries with 2 or 0 ga
gauge cables? Considering maybe using a quick connect type I can get ahold of easily enough too (meant for tow rig boosting). Also how exactly is it to be wired? Do I need a relay or fuse somewhere is between the wiring somehow/somewhere?

I've already got enough wired to the red box so it won't close properly until i get back to modding it with a slight enlargement of the hole for wiring so direct to the battery would probably work best and easiest if possible.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still waiting on my mount to start the shipping process. Its coming from the States to Canada and is taking forever just to start the process. I've already got another shipment almost here that was ordered after this from down south too, must be the weight making shippers slow to want to move it. Anyway, I've decided on 2/0 cable with Anderson quick connectors from 2 different local suppliers. Wire goes on sale for $4.99/ft(CAD) on tuesday and connects will cost me about $55+ tax. I'll still need the end pieces for the battery side and quick connect ends for the wire. That will be the least of the cost though. I'll need to figure out how much wire I'll need this weekend. I'm thinking maybe 10ft from battery routing to where the winch will be so probably 2 10ft pieces then 2 more 1-1.5ft lengths from winch.?.?. I duno just guessing. This sounding like I'm on the right track...?

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Waiting to buy it til I get the winch mount. Already had to cancel one and source from another place. Due to a national backorder and no ETA, so waiting for it to actually arrive before purchasing the winch itself. Online it states 380 amps though. Thats why Im thinkin 2/0 welding cable. Its the only wire I can find that says its rated for this high amps.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So as I sayd specs show winch current rated at 380 amps. All 3 of the following welding cable from same place are rated less than that from 160 to 223 I believe it was. What am I missing...

https://www.princessauto.com/en/-1-welding-cable-sold-by-the-foot/product/PA0008851248

https://www.princessauto.com/en/-2-welding-cable-sold-by-the-foot/product/PA0008851263

https://www.princessauto.com/en/2-0-welding-cable-sold-by-the-foot/product/PA0008851305

Im assuming the specs are based on a long length or something. I would think I would be more than fine with 2/0 but what do I know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts