Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum, I read that you simply need to keep receipts of maintenance items that you use on your truck, like oil, grease, and filters, in order to maintain the warranty. I have also read of people having trouble with a warranty claim because that paperwork (receipts) did not have a VIN number on it, so there was no way to connect those parts to a specific truck. I do enjoy performing my own maintenance, like greasing, oil changes, and transmission filters, etc. Nevertheless, I want to make darn sure that I don't have any warranty issues should the need arise. I do fill out a home-made page with my VIN #, the service done, the date, and mileage. I also attach part receipts to that form. I'm still not sure that is enough.

My question: Is there any paperwork/documents that I can generate to ensure that I don't have any warranty issues related to performing my own maintenance? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is the Email I got from the dealer who sold me my truck, there is a long story behind it that we don't need to rehash here. Needless to say, if I need warranty work now ... my truck goes to Eric's place (Todd Wenzel).

"You will need to keep a receipt for the purchase of the filter and some type of log, best if noted on the corresponding receipt, of the date and mileage the filter was changed. I hope this helps."

Mark

·
Registered
817 Posts
I use the GM website to record mine. It has the VIN number on it and you can print out all you have done. It even has a place to put the cost in. The dealer you go to will be the biggest question. I have a good relationship with the service advisor and am telling him what I have done everytime I'm in. Just did my yearly dielectric grease application to all of the weather strip. I even made him get his hand greasy to verify I got enough on.
I also have a spreadsheet with every tank of fuel, the mileage, the hours, gallons, cost, rolling average of mileage, lifetime mileage and any maint. done in the notes. I also have a chart of mileage to see any trends.
Edited by: chuntag95

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
t/c. It sounds like you are doing a good job. This has come up in the past and I have checked with our warrenty clerk regarding it. She says that if you have reciepts, documentation etc, there is no reason for GM to deny you coverage, especially with your log system, I also like Chuntag's idea on the tracking it on the website.. Chris, could you link us to that? If the dealer doesnt believe you on your records, have them prove you wrong. No where in the owners manual does it say you must take to dealer for service, it just tells you what services should be done. Save all your reciepts and logs and you should be scott free.

Eric

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Eric,

I am a bit confused. Why does GM force you to keep the receipts and a log? I log all of my work in my milage book, but I have a 4 year old and keeping all the paper work just doesn't happen. Am I "screwed"? Should I photograph the filters and a newspaper to "prove" it was done? After all, just having a log and a receipt is not a guarantee that the work was completed. I had a FORD dealer do an oil change and I left with my same Fram filter and oil, but with out the $24.95. (He also wouldn't refund my money)

Also, where does the owners manual list the legal requirement of keeping the receipts? The log in the owners manual does not have a pocket to stash them into, nor does it state I have to keep them.

jb

P.S. - Thanks for participating in the forum and providing such high quality information!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
jb, You are not forced in any way to keep a log. It is a good idea, but not necessary. The way that things get sticky sometimes (from personal experience) is when a customer brings in a vehicle with x miles on it and complains of a engine noise, its as obvious as the sun is bright that lack of maint was the cause of failure. Cust claimed he did all his own maint when asked when his last oil change was done. He had no proof and in this case the evidence was against him, so he paid. I know that all of you are not going to let that situation happen to you as far as lack of maint, but a stickler dealer can demand some type of proof of maint before warrenty work on a particular component is done. Your right, even the dealer performing the work themselves dont garuntee anything....but the paper work means everything. There is no written code that says anything regarding keeping records, photos with the presidents or phone calls to Mexico, but its just good sense in the long run.

And by the way jb, get rid of that Fram!! LOL

Eric

·
Registered
307 Posts
Since there is a mantenance log entry section in the back of the owners manual, but no provision in the manual to keep recipts, it seems that jus completing this log should be "legally sufficient."

However, a local dealer service rep told me that even with the keeping of receipts, the dealer could question whether the work had actually been performed and still refuse warranty service.

So I keep the log and my receipts. Looks like pretty soon the log will be completely filled-in. So I'll make another one containing the same data fields called for in the log found in the manual.

That's a good ideal to mark each receipt with the date/mileage of when the item was actully use. However, I buy filters and oil in bulk so only a few receipts for a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the great info. I feel much better now. As suggested above, I do keep the internet site, "My GMLink" as a mirror image of my log book. However, I don't want to rely solely on a web site, as I know they aren't always reliable - such as if GM decides to shut it down or something. Anyway, for those of you that are interested, here is the link:

www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gmc/home

Pictures might not be such a bad idea either. However, at some point it becomes more trouble than it's worth.

Happy Logging...

Edited by: tundracamper

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Eric,

Thanks for the insite.

BTW, Based on information from George Morrison (and others) I no longer use Fram filters. George has provided me with the filters for both the oil and Allison along with the Fumoto valve.

That valve really makes it nice with a normal size oil pan to change oil without having to try and replace the plug so as to not be a 1:1000 scale model of the Exon Valdese.

jb

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
JB, the only thing I use from Fram is the fuel filters, they are simply reboxed Racors, nothing to do with fram except the box they come in. I run them myself and have cut them open for inspection. I also sent one to Mdrag on the diesel page for his inspection, his results were the same.

eric

·
Registered
817 Posts
Cougar GT-E said:
That valve really makes it nice with a normal size oil pan to change oil without having to try and replace the plug so as to not be a 1:1000 scale model of the Exon Valdese.

Deja Vue!
There's a been there, done that if I ever saw one.

Hey, If I keep all of my old filters does that count? I could get a plastic tub and put them all in till I'm out of warranty. I doubt I will need them with my dealer though. Let's see, every 15K I have 3 fuel filters, a tranny filter and two oil filters, and I'm thinking about the coolant filter too. I also have one oil and tranny at a 7.5K for a total of 8 a year (about) for the next 5 years of 40 filters. I better get a BIG tub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts