Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How common is it for the front and rear mating surface of the case to leak? How about the seal between the trans and the xfer case? Something is leaking and I can't tell where it is coming from. The trans shop said it was residual fluid from the rear seal. Sure seem like a lot of fluid to me.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I doubt you would see anything leaking from between the transfer case and trans. Transfer case has no gasket just silicone.

There is a clip that breaks and allows the case to wear through. Still under warranty? Better clean it off and source the leak.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No warranty.

Where would I look for damage caused by a failed clip?

I'm going to hose the case down again and let it sit overnight.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Use a degreaser to remove the oil so it cleans up good.

IIRC the clip is towards the rear of the transfer case on the drivers side BUT i might be wrong. I've only seen inside one and I didn't pay very close attention.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
the case i think could only leak where you can split it and buy the output shafts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
had the same problem and did not catch in time. If you are looking at the transfer case from the rear, check where the shaft goes in up and to the right. This is where mine had leaked and I didnt know it. It was out of fluid and burnt the case. If you catch in time you can replace back cover or fix it. Dont forget it is magnesium

1 - 7 of 7 Posts