Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in process of replacing my 05 LLY with something newer. Been having trouble finding something with low miles and that is clean

I just came across a 2016 duramax at a dealer nearby. The truck has a little surface rust but the rest seems to be good condition. No damage to the interior, in fact really nice and clean. The truck has 41,250 miles on it and listed at the dealer at $45,000.

Any thoughts on this year truck?

Any thoughts based on price and milage?

Are there any big issues with these that i should watch out for?

Thanks much

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
The LML Duramax has the Cp4 grenade issue to watch out for.
If you purchase the LML you will want to upgrade the fuel system ( Lift pump, filtration), purchase your fuels from well-used stations like truck stops, and use a fuel additive for lubricity in each tank of fuel you purchase.
These additions can deter the Cp4 grenade issue and keep your Duramax happy for many miles

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the upgrade AND the fluids? or one or the other?

Is there a better year to be looking at in a 2014 and up style?

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
Do the upgrade AND the fluids? or one or the other?

Is there a better year to be looking at in a 2014 and up style?
2011-2016 LML's are equipped with the Bosch Cp4 and susceptible to the grenade issue.
Adding the lift pump provides a stable fuel pressure supply to the Cp4.
Adding filtration helps keep impurities out of the fuel to the Cp4
Purchasing fuels from well-used stations like T/A Truckstops, etc lessens the chance of contaminated fuel
Using a fuel additive that contains lubricity aids the Cp4

Doing the items listed above lessens the probability of the Cp4 grenading, costing you $10k+ in fuel system repairs

The 2017+ L5P Duramax uses the Denso high pressure Injection pump and is not having this issue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts