Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Funny, but I actually did something very similar to that on a motorcycle hitch. I attached the safety chains of the trailer to the bike's hitch via a tiny zip tie that would break away. My thought was that while safety chains are required by law, the last thing I wanted was a loose trailer pulling my bike down with me on it. True there would be a loose trailer going down the freeway if the poop hit the fan, but at least it wouldn't take the bike and me with it.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
Um........wow.

·
Un-Official Chat Room Admin
432 Posts
my god some people should not be allowed near a truck let alone tow anything

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Safety chains, lose the trailer, they pull the evidence that you were ever towing anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
I have a few small shackles that are threaded, so maybe they just replaced the bolt with what they had, looks like ******* engineering at work. At least chains aren't dragging!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Actually looks like a slotted shackle head pin, pretty common for boats, hex shackles too. That and it is pretty hard to find a carriage bolt not completely threaded

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Actually looks like a slotted shackle head pin, pretty common for boats, hex shackles too. That and it is pretty hard to find a carriage bolt not completely threaded

I have quite a few carriage bolts in the garage that are not fully threaded. How many do you need? LOL

If you look real close, you can see the square part underneath the head of the bolt. Also, it looks like the rim of the head is all chewed up, Like he used channel-locks to tighten it down. Either way, its just stupidity squared.

Tim

·
Registered
548 Posts
Can't be grade 8. You go to the hardware section an ALWAYS buy the cheapest... Duh

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
And none of you professional tow men fell to see that cotter is a bump away from sliding out just from the weight of the hanging safety chain...last but not least do you guys really think that cotter pin is NOT going to pull out if the trailer were to break away from the receiver..
If anything the driver should have put a shackle d ring in that hole to the left of the hitch and attach his chains to the shackle d ring

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,580 Posts
And none of you professional tow men fell to see that cotter is a bump away from sliding out just from the weight of the hanging safety chain...last but not least do you guys really think that cotter pin is NOT going to pull out if the trailer were to break away from the receiver..
If anything the driver should have put a shackle d ring in that hole to the left of the hitch and attach his chains to the shackle d ring

Its apossed to be lik dat, this is the 21 centry it has a USBEE warless nection (not in pic) so when da treller come off da ball de chen puls the koter pen it matically gages the warless treller brek...old timers, sheesh...:HiHi:

·
Registered
548 Posts
:hehe: ^^ some funny stuff right there!!

Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Registered
374 Posts
There's nothing wrong with that! Yea right!

Reactions: TiredFarmer
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.