Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the subject of"new guy now concerned" i agree with dmaxallitech. as a dealer tech its a bunch of bunk. now the amount of falures as compared to sales is very small in the past 12 months i have had only 3 or 4 injector issues. amounting to only 4 injectors. have had 2 injection pumps and 6 or so return lines leaking.so of the 200+ sold 12 or so with fuel leaks. now ther are other issues but most are fixed within 2 days. down time sucks for the owner. one injector leaking will take up to 3 hrs to diag and find then remove the vlv cover another 3 hrs. so one day down order an injector if you dont have one and good luck if the dealer next to you has one. so you look at an east coast shipment. oregon to lansing or where ever over night. 1pm is cut off of oregon so diag ended at 3pm. will not have injector tomarrow and when the truck came in i could not just order a set of injectors at 8am. boss says we only fix what is broken. as dmaxallitech said "we have to keep warranty cost down". so now you see a truck on day three
for one injector.all day to put it together. day four.
all in all the diag sucks. pays chit.and its hard. sure gm training video makes it look easy and the tech makes it look like it takes 15min. i agree with dmaxallitech
us tech blow off alot of steam on this sight all you guys listen and understand. advisors dont and sure misinform you all. if diag payed and repair paid. you would not see as many return falures. the first ever fuel leak i did oh about 3 years ago, i was just out of tech school and still hourly so i walked through diag very slow and got a full grasp of it the truck owner was out of town of like 1.5 months so my mgr said to take my time and do it right. well half way along found out we did not have all the diag equipment. had to order it. bet ther is tons of dealers out ther missing key tools. any way i learned how frustrating dig on the fuel systm is. the other diesel tech said to order all 8 injectors but i could not beleave all 8 failed. all 8 is a way of covering your ace. wet i have seen in diag that lead to all 8 not in spec for fuel flow. any way. dmax is a good truck and we will see if the lly is better or worse.guys be patience with us gm techs we kmow our stuff. but we also have to work the game. if i had say i would warranty every dan thing. 2 free fuel filters but remember to all manufactures we are all pawns in a game
you as customers and us as techs. d/max is isusu? built so it makes me wounder if they have problems on the npr
you know the delevery truck and moving truck out there.
ther is know answer. i would like to tell you at every 25k miles fill your crankcase up with diesel tow it in and say its full and see what the answer is. yet all in all not as many injector problems are out there as compared to sales.wish engineering would find the rute to the problem.i beleave it is in the fuel and filters.

dmaxallitech does comercial fuel have different additatives than lets say off road? other than color?
also do you work on topics with the cat motor? we dont see near the fuel issues. i think its the darn filters....

·
Registered
909 Posts
And as has been mentioned, maintenance on these injection systems also have the pitfall of particles dropping into the injector, causing problems down the road. That's tough on everyone all the way around.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Patrick, I am also a new guy to this site ( recently joined but been lurking here and other sites for a quite a while), but have been involved heavily in vehicles for the last 26+ yrs (Look at my signature you will see that I keep my vehicles (GM) and do all maintenance on them myself). I am purchasing a new 04 gmc & have also already puchased the nicktane setup for the truck that is not hear yet! I will install it as soon as I have the truck. Do I belive the fuel filtration is a problem? You Better believe it is. Up here in Vermont we may not use the quanity that other areas use and sometimes we get ( Bad Fuel ) . See my 2nd post about "Rottel DFA" it's on the first or second page and you will see what I mean about bad fuel!!

I think the other issue I see up here for a diesel owner is that almost knowbody has filters on thier pumps, AND LOW VOLUME SALES. I have been researching my area and have found 1 place where the volume is high ( I see school busses, Coke and Pepsi Trucks fueling there) AND THE HAUL FUEL ALSO. This is where I will try to purchase all my fuel from while in VT.

This is one of the reason I am looking to install a drain in my tank its for water, and I thought I knew which is better to do EMULSIFY/ DEMULSIFY, BUT I AM TOTTALY CONFUSED ABOUT THE ISSUE as all parties make very valid points on this forum. Georgecls Has almost persuade me to emusify the fuel just when I thought the only way to go is to demulsify. I have read every post on fuel related articles on this forum and all links (WOW) am I crazy!!

What are your thoughts as a tech? Sorry for the extremely long post, I guess Iam still searching!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts