Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new question/problem. My drivers side seat belt has always had 2 clicks when I latch it. When I first get into the vehicle and put on my seat belt I hear the click and I cannot pull it out. About 30 seconds later I will hear it click again. Sometimes it is 5 seconds apart and others up to 30 seconds, but still there are two clicks. Well, yesterday I brought my truck in to have my rear view mirror checked out again because of that electrical problem I have been having with the compass and temp gauge. I asked them if the double click was normal and they said they have never heard of that. So, I left my truck with them and later in the day they called me up and said the mirror is bad and the seat belt assembly is bad to. They actually got it to "DUPLICATE" what I said it did. Sorry, I have to say that again, they ACTUALLY GOT IT TO DUPLICATE what my problem was. He then said it looks to be a safety issue and wanted to know if I wanted them to order it. I asked if it was covered under any type of warrenty and he said no. The unit costs $76. I am over my mileage for my warrenty so they will not cover it. Does anyone know if there is any type of safety recall, or bulletin that would cover this. I only have 47,000 miles on my truck and something so serious as a seatbelt, safety, isn't covered. What if I got into an accident and my seatbelt malfunctioned and I happened to survive? I would be driving a brand new LLY version at their expense because of a faulty safety device.
Ok, I am just joking at that, I couldn't just go out and wreck my truck, that is my only baby. And it would be my luck that the seatbelt would work.

Jeff

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ive been wanting to ask this for awhile and keep forgeting to so here it goes. Which dealership do Alaskans take there trucks to the most.

·
Registered
187 Posts
O and I dont know about the seatbelt seems fishy

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is what I would do.

Talk to the service manager and explain to him it's done this since day one and you never knew anything was wrong with it, but now found out it's bad. Ask him to call GM to see if they are willing to replace it under warranty.

I recall reading some place seatbelts and air bags are under warranty longer than the normal 3 years 36,000 factory warranty.

If he is unwiiling you can always call GM yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
692 Posts
the seat belt is not a safty issue this is very common for these belts to do that i have replaced hundreds of them and most for a locking issue and some for noise.i most likley will not get covered. its not a hard thing to replace if you can turn wrenches. a little time consuming. as far as the mirror goes, what was it doing?
was the direction off if so it can be re-zoned for location. and if it said sc or oc check the connection on the back of the mirror. or the sensor behind the bow tie.

·
Registered
169 Posts
cwolfe, Alaska sales Has always been good to my family. we have bought several vehicles from them and always took them there for service. Never had any problems or neg feedback when working with them. AkDually61

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only place I have ever brought my truck in for service, if I can't do it myself, is Tony Chevrolet on Old Seward Hwy.

The seatbelt is not problem to change out. I just don't see why I would need to buy another one. My 1990 Geo Metro had a similar problem and they changed it out under warrenty because it was a safety issue. It might have been under a recall to, I don't know. The dealership wants $76 for the part and another $40 for labor installing it. NOT... If I have to buy one I will install it myself. I might try getting ahold of the Service Manager like VooDoo mentioned.

The mirror. Well, I brought it in a couple times in the past because the compass/temp gauge would just shut off as I was driving and come back on about a second later. The dealership could not duplicate it so they couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it. Now that my truck is out of warrenty, I brought it back to them and of course they could not find anything in the computer showing I have ever brought it in for that problem before. So, I brought my copies down to them and showed them. Now they are ordering a new mirror and it should be in next week. I just hope it gets here before I leave for Thailand. I might have to resolve the seatbelt situation when I come back.

Thanks, Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts