Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few beverages the other night and I was forced to sit in the passanger seat of my truck. I quite often don't wear my seatbelt but I have been unlucky lately as the Cops around here are cracking down on not wearing seat belts.

Anyways, on the driver side the seat belt is always loose. I can lean forward as far as I want and the seat belt follows me. What I noticed was that the passenger side always was ratcheting tighter. Ever time it tighened up it wouldn't loosen at all. I had to take it off, retract it fully and pull it back out several times. I played with it for almost an hour and it does it no matter what. I thought maybe just decelerating or whatever but thats not the case.

My questions is, is the passenger side belt supposed to be like that? I have likely never rode in the passenger side of any vehicle and worn by seat belt so I have nothing to compare it too.

What do you think the problem would be? I would like to have my dealer order the parts before I bring it to get fixed.

Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's so the belt will latch a child safety seat.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FirstDiesel said:
That's so the belt will latch a child safety seat.
That is what I thought but it sure is uncomfortable! There is no way in hell i could wear that any longer then about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Every ten minutes my wife is undoing her safety belt and redoing it. what a PITA !

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm seriously thinking about checking out the differences between driver and passanger and see if it can be modified or changed with a ds one. I can't blame her one bit for complaining now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guess some things don't change. Had the RH belts replaced front and back on mine back shortly after I bought it (2001) and it didn't help a bit. I notice we all have CCs and that's what really stinks! You aren't supposed to carry a child safety seat in the front seat in a CC (no seat bag disable) so why can't they give us a belt that works?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree with jbh2000. If there isn't a Air Bag Disable for the Right seat in a CC why is the seat belt still built for a car seat. I had surgery and was not supposed to drive for 2 weeks. My wife did all the driving. And I just got tired of fighting the seat belt, every time I wanted to do anything, couldn't even adjust the heat without the seatbelt catching me. We havea 03 Tahoe and it is the same way. The owners manual in both vehicles say not to put a Childs car seat in the front, then why is the seat belt built for a car seat?

·
Registered
174 Posts
For what it is worth . . My wife heard that if you do not pull the seat belt all of the way out of the wind up "receptical", that it will not lock. She said that pulling the belt out all the way or *most* of the way out sets the belt up to be used for a car seat.

I had the belt lock up on me a number of times on a long trip while she was driving & after the 3rd or 4th time she heard me cuss the belt really good, she told me about that trick & it seemed to work. Of course, that is just the one trip for me (my first time on the pass side).

She works for a chevy dealer & swears up & down that she heard/read about it at work. I dunno where she heard about it , but I do know that she doesn't mess with the belt very much on trips. :)

hope this helps!

PDS

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try that thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That should be true. The seat belt has to be pulled all the way out to set the lock system. BTW, the wife has never once had the belt in the CC latch on her from just sitting and moving around.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The trouble with the trick is if the passenger leans out to tune the radio temp etc and this extends the belt to the end, especially with a winter coat on, it still locks ! My '02 did this and the Tahoe before that. I have an extended cab. Its a real PITA !
Edited by: BlueMaxxxx

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have taken to using the metal clip I used to secure the child seat's seatbelt. I clip it to the driver's shoulder harness and adjust it to allow a little slack. I typically where a seat belt, but without being able to get slack in my duramax's seat belt. I would not wear it.

ponz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts