Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the clutch engagment feel or differ between a single disk and a dual disk??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
A dual disc is more jerkier or agressive than a single. A dual disc is not what I've heard a lot people say, "street friendly" as a single. But, this is the case with a dual disc pulling clutch. There are dual disc that are made for the street that are better but I've never been around a d-max with one. I have a buddy that has a McCloud street dual disc in a dodge and its smooth when engaging. I've been in it with a trailer behind it with 15k on and it was still smooth when engaging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
A double disc clutch is designed to hold more power and less slippage. The Pressure Plate tipically has more pressure to hold the clutch to the flywheel. Additionally, the buttons on a clutch plate also have a huge impact on amount of slippage, holding power, amount of temperature prior to failure, and the number of/and size of buttons on the clutch plates. Organic buttons are normal on single discs. They work fine but were never designed for super power or competition. If you are careful when you start with an organic you can also tow quite heavey trailers. Ceramic and Feramic buttons are metal and actually hold very well and don't wear out unless you don't learn how to start properly. Steel buttons and steel flywheel face hold power well but wear more and grab more, especially in hot summertime!!

I have a ceramic DDC with the old solid clutch plates. It holds power just fine, and is different than normal street driving but is not bad at all. No slipping and very minor grabbing in hot seasons. No grabbing in cold temperatures. I expect the new sprung hubs will actually start even smoother.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,403 Posts
If you're going to run 400+rwhp I'd be getting the DDC. I know of one single that's not holding in 6th gear and he's not pushing that much power to it. I've been really satisfyed with my dual disc except it's a bit noisy. I'll probably upgrade to a sprung hub once I find something to drive while mine's down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
01Duramax6spd;1576591; said:
If you're going to run 400+rwhp I'd be getting the DDC. I know of one single that's not holding in 6th gear and he's not pushing that much power to it. I've been really satisfyed with my dual disc except it's a bit noisy. I'll probably upgrade to a sprung hub once I find something to drive while mine's down.
Is that Justin who is having the slipping on the SDC? I thought he got a DDC?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,403 Posts
Deadeye;1578155; said:
Is that Justin who is having the slipping on the SDC? I thought he got a DDC?
Yeah. No,he has a Single Disc. He doesn't sled pull with it and figured it'd hold fine just driving and ocassionally towing but it isn't holding in 6th. It will hold stock or with a tow tune but that's it. He's getting by on it cause he don't have anything else to drive :( .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
OK. I sent him an email last week and asked him to call me. If you talk to him remind him to do so. Also, I beleive he said he was using an EFI. if so too much extra power for a SDC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,403 Posts
Deadeye;1578426; said:
OK. I sent him an email last week and asked him to call me. If you talk to him remind him to do so. Also, I beleive he said he was using an EFI. if so too much extra power for a SDC.
I'll talk to him later and tell him to call ya back. He is running EFI. He's under the 450HP rating. Maybe he can trade up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Deadeye,

As I've stated in another post I have a SMF and SDC w/ceramic buttons ready to be installed next week. I'm only going to pull about 8k to 9k max and currently am running the edge on level 2 however when not towing I would like to run the edge on 4 or 5. Will the SDC hold up to this?

Steven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
StevenE;1634005; said:
Deadeye,

As I've stated in another post I have a SMF and SDC w/ceramic buttons ready to be installed next week. I'm only going to pull about 8k to 9k max and currently am running the edge on level 2 however when not towing I would like to run the edge on 4 or 5. Will the SDC hold up to this?

Steven
Give me a call this eve (~6pm mountain) and I will discuss with you and give you contact to another customer doing exactly the same thing!

John
303.882.2181
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
John,

I will not be able to call this evening as I have to work till about 9pm CST and can not call out long distance. I'll try tomorrow. Can you be reached during the day?

Steven
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top