Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the SD manifold for my LLY to accommodate the boost guage pickup.

Before installing it, do I need to put any sealant on the aluminum pipes? If so,
what type?

Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bought the SD manifold for my LLY to accommodate the boost guage pickup.

Before installing it, do I need to put any sealant on the aluminum pipes? If so,
what type?

Thanks!
Mine was a really snug fit (read pain in the rear to get on) that no sealant was needed. It's been on for over 10k miles and no problems. Clamps should hold it just fine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've had mine on for about 25,000 miles = no problems. Very nice work by SD! Yes, it fits very tightly. IIRC, I sprayed something on the aluminum pipe. It was in another thead??? Might have been on BMDMAX's web page???

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just make sure there are no kids around. You will be cursing. It is a really tight fit. I didn't use any spray or lube (maybe I should have) but the tubes never came loose on mine.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I just found out from a Silicone hose distributor that the slotted, regular hose clamps are not the best idea for the silicone hose used on the SD manifold and could cause the silicone hoses to fail. He states that clamps with solid bands like the factory clamps (t-bolt style) are best for this application.

For more info, see http://www.hightempsilicone.com/.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The edge of the clamp that holds the silicone on is creating a greater risk of cutting the silicone hose. No failures so far after 2 1/2 years on my truck and lots of 50 psi runs with the big charger. To help ease the install, use some hair spray (if you have some) on the aluminum tubes to help make it slide on, then it will dry like glue. Thanks much Buck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.