Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my truck started a loud screeching/rattling noise that sounds like a bad u-joint. But in my experience with them they make noise when you are on the gas and quiet up some when you let off. This however is the complete opposite. If your on the gas its quiet but you you let off and coast or slow to a stop it rattles, the slower you go the worse it rattles till you stop. That may be because you just cant hear it as good over my truck. I just had the back jacked up runnin it and you can tell its coming from the tranfer case area and the front of the rear driveshaft!:wtf1: Anybody have or hear about a problem like this before? Any ideas?:help2:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Have you checked your transfer case oil level?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i'm not sure, but i think mine does the same thing as yours.

sometimes when it's happening i can stop completely and have the noise keep going.

all started some time after i changed my t-case fluid. i'm going to go check it right now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They replaced the u-joint closest to the transfercase on the rear driveshaft. Its weird though, ive never heard of a bad u-joint only make noise when your off the gas. O well as long as its fixed, and i learned something! They also did a check up on the ol gal and replaced the idler arm and some sensor. Ill find out for sure tomorrow when i pick it up and see the paper work. Its all under warrenty so:ro) ! If it were to happen again id probably replace it with u- joints with greese fittings cause i only have 1000 miles left on the warrenty so its on me next time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts