Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tryed both of these oils. Which ones did the like. Schaffer oil 15W-40 Semi blend or Amsoil fully synthetic??? Which ones gave better results. Longer oil change intervals, Better MPG. and so one

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will go with Amsoil 15/40 here in texas. Has worked for me for 8 years. ;) Full syn. gives much better extended drain performance (among other things). If you go with shorter drains then probably dont spend the extra money for syn. I plan on 15k to 20k drains with Amsoil but will oil sample to find out if that is ok.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cat3406e;1561854; said:
Has anyone tryed both of these oils. Which ones did the like. Schaffer oil 15W-40 Semi blend or Amsoil fully synthetic??? Which ones gave better results. Longer oil change intervals, Better MPG. and so one

Thank you
I tried both and prefer Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 SAE 15W-40.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Of the rwo you mentioned I recommend Amsoil. Schaeffers is a decent fuel additive, but I'm not impressed with their lube program.

·
Registered
846 Posts
schaeffer's 7000 15w-40

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I tried both Amsoil 5W-30 and 15W-40 synthetic. The 5W-30 would not burn until after 9k miles the 15W-40 after 5k miles. Preferred the 5W-30 but it was more expensive. MPG was slighlty better on the 5W-30.

I am using Schaeffers 9000 5w-40...seems to be just as good volatility as the 5W-30 Amsoil...no oil usage at 8k and my MPG is the same. I am going to run an oil analysis to see how this oil does in terms of wear.

The Schaeffers 15W-40 blend I tried once and did not notice anything wrong with it other than the engine seemed a bit louder than compared to the 2 Amsoil oils I ran...MPG about the same...since I preferred full synthetic I stuck with using Amsoil...until Schaeffers 9000 came out and I switched to that.

Both Amsoil and Schaeffers are excellent oils for this truck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Put a check mark next to Amsoil for me. I have also used the Valvoline Blue 5w40. Just went back to Amsoil

·
Registered
73 Posts
Esso Extra 0W40 gets my vote. Full PAO Group IV. Quick easy starts even at -30. Good price too.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I run the Amsoil 5w-40 Diesel Oil. Starts up great in the winter

·
Registered
976 Posts
DRoc;1569763; said:
Esso Extra 0W40 gets my vote. Full PAO Group IV. Quick easy starts even at -30. Good price too.
Esso is an Exxon/Mobil company. They don't offer Esso lubes in the US. Where are you located?

·
Registered
63 Posts
bthurta;1562116; said:
Go with Amsoil 15W-40, change the filter @ 10k & oil/filter @ 20k.
If the amsoil is doing such a great job of reducing wear, why not leave the filter on there for 20k?

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
most people do leave it on for the legnth of the intervul. some people change it early because it is easy to do and gets a fresh filter in there. i leave mine on for the entire time.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Schaeffer for me.I know Amsoil is good also but I just can't believe in a company the size of Amsoil that won't engage in getting their oils certified.Schaeffer has been around since 1839--oldest oil co. in the U.S. I use good old dino oil--their 200X with moly--until someone can prove to me what synthetic can do better for me,I'll save my money using dino.

·
Registered
255 Posts
schaeffers 9000 is what i used on 04.5 lly for 160000 miles, and after break-in i will do the same with my lbz. I am an amsoil dealer, but i like the schaeffers for my duramax., I do use the amsoil dual bypass filter system tho

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
hotrent1;1579438; said:
schaeffers 9000 is what i used on 04.5 lly for 160000 miles, and after break-in i will do the same with my lbz. I am an amsoil dealer, but i like the schaeffers for my duramax., I do use the amsoil dual bypass filter system tho
WOW--that speaks volumes.Thanks for the honesty.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've run one batch of Schaeffer's 7000 and I'm currently on my first batch of Amsoil 15W40 Diesel & Marine. I got good used oil analysis from the Schaeffer's, getting close to time to change the Amsoil. Don't expect any really definitive mileage change just from lubricant swap. I was afraid the 15W40 Amsoil was going to be a cold-start problem in sub-zero temps (and I had a bad block heater cord at the beginning of the winter) but it hasn't been an issue. I normally change to a 5W40 synthetic (Mobil or Rotella-T) for winter. I've got a gallon of the Schaeffer's and will probably buy a couple more and be running another batch when it warms up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
schaffer oil is the only thing that my old job ran, and they had over 2,000diesel engines that they had to deal with. Im talking anything from a small truck diesel engine up to a very large heavy equipment and dumpers. They did a test on oils and prices and the whole nine yards and they said schaffer had the best lubercation and least amount of break down. hope this helps

1 - 20 of 30 Posts