Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric,

Since none of us(that I know of) got to do the oil test at the GTG, I've been curious about it. I assume you deal in it, and I'm tempted to try it. What's the cost per gallon of it? Just wondering if it may be a 'better oil' than the Rotella T Syn I've been using.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I'm not associated w/ Shaeffers oil but have been using it for 25+years.

Their grease doesn't absorb water (non lithium based) so we started using it on front axles of mud runners to keep the crap out of the Torrington bearing when the seals went bad.

It has been the ONLY grease we use for 25+ years.

The test is slick, it uses friction and your oil first then they put their moly oil and u can't stop it.

I've been using their syn/blend 7000 oil but since I'm getting new Dmaxs all the time I don't keep them long enough to get them broke-in .

The blend oil 15W-40 has a lower pour point than 5 weight straight oil so it has to be better for cold starts.

In a 88 cummins BCIV I was running 26,000 miles on oil changes and they said to up the change level (w/ oil tests).

I wouldn't change the motor over till it has broken-in good (15,000 miles?)

I think the oil is great for turbos because the moly will protect it on dry starts and rapid shutdowns.

I had an older friend that drove 50+ miles one way to work for a lot of years and ran a slant 6, he changed to their regular oil and picked up 1mpg+ fuel mileage.

After he change the rears and manual trans over he picked up some more mileage.(can't remember the exact ## been 20 years ago)

I used to be an owner/operator and switching to their syn gear oil dropped the temp 30-60*F in the trans, rears and oil bath hubs.

They have some good fuel conditioner too.

A farmer friend's BP supreme gelled in his tanks (-20F and colder)and our regular #2 Ashland oil w/o K1 and w/ the conditioner was fine.

I am sure u'll see a HP improvement on the dyno w/ their oil and the more modified will too.

They've been doing it for lots of years on big industrial machines.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/

They have the specs on their products too.

Edited by: Dmax Tim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Schaeffer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one ...
Schaeffer's pleasure doesn't fade even when your thirst is done ...
The most rewarding pleasure in this man's world for people who are having fun ...
Schaeffer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one!

Mac

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey that could be my Dad!! He worked for Schaeffer Beer from 1946 to 1961 in NYC.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Some one break out the frosted mugs and light the fire

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Just bougt 2 cases from Tim mills(hes on the oil site listed above) for 95 delivered to my door. Shipping kida sucks on a case of oil. Havent changed it yet(this weekend) but all the talk over their pointed me twards it. Its the 15-40 7000 supreme stuff. Like was said I think even though its advertised as 15 the cold point is closer to 5.

I am using it because I let my truck sit durring the week most of the time so I like the idea of the moly. I also dont want to go extended drain intervals for some reasons and schafferes is fairly cheap compared to a full synthetic.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Rat, I have one of their warehouses about 20 miles away.

W/ a $200 order free delivery and if less than that I can sometimes get a saleman to drop it off.

I also found out my fuel distributor is selling it too, I needed 5 gal. of 50 wt. synthetic for a road ranger they were open til 8 pm.

U should have got some of their grease, the RED stuff is purdy
Edited by: Dmax Tim

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have talked to our Scheaffer rep just today and I will be handling his line of products. I will soon be posting prices for it in my "best prices" link. You can buy directly from me and as always, my price includes shipping unless specified. I believe it to be VERY good stuff.

Eric

·
Registered
351 Posts
Victory Red,

Where is this stuff avaliable in WI? Dealer names? I am considering trying this 7000 15w-40 oil. I might have Eric send it to me otherwise.....he owes me some Tranysnd for that deep pan I won last weekend.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There isn't Maverick at lest no where near me. The only place I could find via their link is in Eau Galle WI, between Eau Claire and Red Wing. It looks like this area may need a dealer.....hmmm

It's roughly 1.00 more per quart than what i'm currently paying for Rotella. I may have to give this stuff a whirl to see if it's worth anything.

I thought you were going to trade me your deep pan for the car care cleaning kit I won??

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just came back from the main distribtor warehouse in Merrill, WI. Everything looks good except the -25 F pour point on the Supreme 7000 15W-40 Syn Blend oil. The Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is -49 F. Its gotten colder than -25 around here before but I am usually plugged in anyway but you never know.

Someone else got any other words to convince me to try the Schaeffers?

I also found a huge distributor for the Delvac 1 today also. (4) 1 gallon jugs in one case. One case is $84. Not to bad I guess.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
thats a good price on Delvac, not as good as Scheaffers, but close...lol

Cant really convince you, but I guess try it, others have/are using it and I havent heard anything bad yet, but Delvac's bad rap was only the price....I offer it to customers that come in and I have been through quite a bit just since Diesel Day..

eric

·
Registered
430 Posts
Maverick...I'm far from being an oil whiz, but Schaeffes web site lists the pour point for their #700 oil at -41 degrees. Mobil 1 is listed at -45 degrees. They sound pretty close to me, although I do not know if they use the same test methods. One of the oil guys at rv.net (kenneth) claims that the actual lower viscosoty of Schaeffers 700 is around 8W, not 15W. Food for thought....

I'm really thinking of using Schaeffers for my next change. You can see some comments on Schaeffers moly additive at:

http://www.rv.net./forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/12982468.cfm

TYPICAL PROPERTIES
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=Normal vAlign=top width=481>

SAE Grade</TD>
<TD class=Normal vAlign=top width=109>

15W-40</TD></TR>
<TR>

Viscosity 40°C Cst (ASTM D-445)</TD>

110-126</TD></TR>
<TR>

Viscosity 100°C Cst (ASTM D-445)</TD>

14.00-16.00</TD></TR>
<TR>

CCS Viscosity @ -15°C cP (ASTM D-5293)</TD>

1,775</TD></TR>
<TR>

CCS Viscosity @ -20°C cP (ASTM D-5293)</TD>

2,804</TD></TR>
<TR>

CCS Viscosity @ -25°C cP (ASTM D-5293)</TD>

4,877</TD></TR>
<TR>

High Temperature High Shear Viscosity 302°F/150°C cP</TD>

4.3</TD></TR>
<TR>

Mini-rotary Viscosity-TP.1 @-25</

·
Registered
351 Posts
Roegs,

Thanks for the heads up on the pour point. I picked up some Supreme 7000 info and I'm looking at it right now.......yep its still -25.

I'll print off their web page and find out what it is for sure. I hope the web page is correct.

Eric, I will try some reguardless. Can't hurt I guess. We'll see if I get an extra 20-30 hp like the rep said at Duramax Day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ordered some from Eric a couple of days ago, great price, great guy to talk to. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks Eric

1 - 17 of 17 Posts