Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming down a hill the other day towing some snowmobiles. I lefted off the throttle and touched the brakes and the truck downshifted and revved to something like 3500 RPM. I touched the gas pedal and it settled back to about 2200.

I thought the redline on these motors was about 3200 RPM. I knew there was a towing downshift thing that could happen but that seems a little weird to go into redline.

Am I just missing something (I hope).

Don Miller

2004 CC SB with 2100 miles

·
Registered
463 Posts
That is the grade braking feature...Apparently it is normal for the engine to rev well past redline. IIRC, the computer will upshift again if the engine's RPM's reach a certain point.

This is a layman's description
...Some of the more knowledgeable folks here may want to elaborate a litttle.

Kevin

·
Registered
124 Posts
turbospl311 said:
I was coming down a hill the other day towing some snowmobiles. I lefted off the throttle and touched the brakes and the truck downshifted and revved to something like 3500 RPM. I touched the gas pedal and it settled back to about 2200.

I thought the redline on these motors was about 3200 RPM. I knew there was a towing downshift thing that could happen but that seems a little weird to go into redline.

Am I just missing something (I hope).

Don Miller

2004 CC SB with 2100 miles

<H1>New Product Information - Grade Brake Feature of Allison 1000 Series Transmission #02-07-30-004A - (09/11/2002)</H1>
<TABLE><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Table 1:</TD>
<TD>8.1L Gas Engine (RPO L18) with both 4.10 and 3.73 axle ratio</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Table 2:</TD>
<TD>6.6L Diesel Engine (RPO LB7) with 3.73 axle ratio</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>New Product Information -- Grade Brake Feature of Allison® 1000 Series Transmission

2001-03 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Models

2001-03 GMC Sierra Pickup Models

with Allison® LCT1000 Series Automatic Transmission (RPO M74)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2003 model year and additional information for clarification. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-07-30-004 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

The grade-braking algorithm's primary purpose is to utilize engine braking to slow a heavy vehicle on steep grades in order to reduce wear on the traditional braking system. The method used to slow the vehicle is by overriding the PRNDL position, effectively pre-selecting the next lower gear range automatically. Because the transmission is electronically controlled and there is no mechanical linkage that needs to be moved for a pre-select downshift, implementation of this algorithm can be done completely in software with no hardware modifications.

This algorithm takes into consideration several factors before commanding a pre-select downshift. These are the primary inputs:
<UL ="BULLET">
<LI>Throttle position
<LI>Brake state (The brake must be applied to activate grade braking)
<LI>Vehicle acceleration/deceleration
<LI>Grade/Load
<LI>Vehicle speed </LI>[/list]

The determination of the PRNDL position is made by a logic subsystem. Several factors are calculated and weighted and then a sum is calculated. When this calculated sum surpasses a threshold, a PRNDL override is commanded.

<H4>Important</H4>

The shift speeds for grade-braking are controlled/determined as a result of "Calculated Sum" logic. However, the grade-braking shift point will never be greater than the Pre-Select Shift Point.

The following charts provide the maximum Pre-Select (manual) shift points:
<TABLE width="100%" border=1><A name=tab1-944861><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=944861&pubid=297&evc=sm#tab1-944861" target="_blank">
<H4>8.1L Gas Engine (RPO L18) with both 4.10 and 3.73 axle ratio</H4></A><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>

Shift</TH>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>

Transmission OSS RPM</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle>

5-4</TD>

4624</TD></TR>
<TR>

4-3</TD>

3266</TD></TR>
<TR>

3-2</TD>

2543</TD></TR>
<TR>

2-1</TD>

1474</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

For the L18 gas engine, max

·
Registered
124 Posts
Trippin said:
Cool, I feel better now about accidently reving mine to 4,000 on the dyno Saturday.
big diff. between no tps and wot under load

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seen one rev past 5k before! Off the acellerator not down hill braking! Don't worry D-Max's are TUFF.Edited by: JRmac

·
Registered
204 Posts
IF you'll carefully inspect your tachometer you'll find that it always has had a 4800 RPM redline, the red area that starts at 3200 is hatched, solid red begins at 4800 RPM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts